Hey guys, will this setup work?
Nov 17, 2012 at 11:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Brandon311

New Head-Fier
Ok so this is my first thread and im new to this pro audio thing. Im wondering if this would work? My source would be a hifiman hm 801 and my amp would be a woo audio wa5. My phones would either be hifiman he6 or hd 800. So, the phones would connect to the amp and the amp would connect to the hm 801 right? No desktop is required?

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
Ok so this is my first thread and im new to this pro audio thing. Im wondering if this would work? My source would be a hifiman hm 801 and my amp would be a woo audio wa5. My phones would either be hifiman he6 or hd 800. So, the phones would connect to the amp and the amp would connect to the hm 801 right? No desktop is required?

That should work fine. It's kind of a bizarre and really expensive set up for being new to this audio thing. I'd definitely recommend starting off with something less... ridiculously expensive.

Quote:
Btw, are the phones in my avatar the hd800?

Yes

Quote:
One last question, do i need a dac to run my headphones through an amp?

No. The HM801 has a dac inside of it.

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

If by "no desktop" you mean no (desktop) computer, yes it'll work. If you mean a desk, well, you'd have to put them on something and I'd rather not the floor - the WA5 isn't exactly a portable amp you can put on your bed or armrest while listening, but of course if you have an existing speaker system with the furniture to put them on, then that's fine.

However, are you going to use the HM801 as a portable? You mentioned full-size open cans and a stationary (ie, runs off wall power) amp, and no portable headphones. For the same money you can just get a stationary/desktop source unit - DAC, CDP, or modern (network) media server/transports* - without compromises in its circuit for battery life (which the HM801 doesn't have much of anyway - so in all likelihood it'll run out of juice while listening more often than you might expect).

*Think of serious CDPlayers, but have a hard drive or NAS connectivity options instead of a CD transport (or both) : Pioneer N-50 , Aune S1 , Logitech Squeezebox Touch
BTW some CDPs nowadays can take a digital input via coaxial SPDIF or USB, so wearing out the transport on an investment with no local dealer support isn't going to be as frequent a problem nowadays. Besides, with online reselling, you'd probably upgrade and pass on the impending lens or gear replacement. Just note that some may only take compressed audio through the USB input, but so far the SPDIF input on the Cambridge Audio 840C is just wonderful.

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 13
Like, seriously... I could build two media computers for cheaper than the HM801.

Or get a laptop and an external hard drive and an external dac.

I'd do either before buying an HM801.

Heck, I'd get a Clip+ and an Objective 2 or Cavalli CTH to start. I think that both would suit the he500 well.. The hd800 might be slightly more deserving of a better source/amp, but my first thought definitely wouldn't be an HM801. Of course, I haven't personally heard the hm801.. It could be magical or something. http://www.head-fi.org/t/490698/hifiman-hm-801-rmaa-tests/525

I mean... I just don't think this is a good set up for someone starting out, not at all. For the price of the HM801 and that woo amp, I think you could build a computer and still have enough money left over to buy a better dac and amp.

I beg Brandon311 to do more homework, that's all. 

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Like, seriously... I could build two media computers for cheaper than the HM801.

Or get a laptop and an external hard drive and an external dac.

I mean... I just don't think this is a good set up for someone starting out, not at all. For the price of the HM801 and that woo amp, I think you could build a computer and still have enough money left over to buy a better dac and amp.

I beg Brandon311 to do more homework, that's all. 

I could get an odler iMac with an NVidia GPU for that money. The problem with a media computer though is you'll need a separate display, so something like the Aune S2 server would be ideal for $600 (their website's broken for some reason); or better yet the Pioneer N-30 for less than $500 I think. Netbook+DAC won't be a bad choice either but that'll need a quite a bit more space, and you can't stack these two since the netbook will produce more heat. But there are ways around that so it's always an option. If you have an old laptop lying around that's technically a free server, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislangley4253 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Of course, I haven't personally heard the hm801.. It could be magical or something. http://www.head-fi.org/t/490698/hifiman-hm-801-rmaa-tests/525

Well if you're listening on the go - not necessarily on a bus, think trains, hotel rooms, etc - for that size I'd guess it's really good, especially if you won't bring a separate amp. Either way, you'd probably need another (slim) brick : a powerbank. Plus if you upgrade your phone with your carrier you can use the Galaxy SIII with a USB-DAC+Amp at home, plus a cheaper DAC-Amp on the go, for about the same price depending on what other devices you'll get.

I can't deny the HM801 sounds good, it's just that you can turn around and see a Marantz CD6004 for about $500, or the Rega Apollo R for about $1000 (or where I am, about $600 for a Cayin CD50T which is $400 less than in the US), and even if you use headphones the sound is noticeable enough that I can just say to myself, "save the best critical listening time for when you get home." That's why if the OP is going to be using it mostly as a player at home there are other options.

Then again if it comes with a proper dock to do SPDIF output as well as charge, keep it upright, or even has a decent DAC or analog output stage in it (essentially using the portable as a transport at home)...

Nov 19, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #11 of 13
Totally awesome and on point response Protege :)

I haven't looked much into media computer alternatives, because all my listening is done at my computer and I also have a laptop and external drive and dac and transportable amp.. So, all my bases are pretty well covered. I'm gonna look more into some of the stuff you posted though, just for the sake of educating myself :p Some of it sounds pretty cool!

Nov 19, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:
Totally awesome and on point response Protege :)

I haven't looked much into media computer alternatives, because all my listening is done at my computer and I also have a laptop and external drive and dac and transportable amp.. So, all my bases are pretty well covered. I'm gonna look more into some of the stuff you posted though, just for the sake of educating myself :p Some of it sounds pretty cool!

I was about to divert cash from my camera fund when I learned about all those wireless storage drives that won't need a more complicated set-up (then again, most of the set-up work is because the people buying these servers haven't archived their music into FLAC yet).

Although I really should try to not get distracted. Almost bought a used Cayin CD50T recently, too - less than 50hours on it for about $400. And this used SCD-T200 sitting around in a local store for about $1,000 with upgraded tubes is an aesthetic match to my Cantate (basically the same series chassis). It just sucks when you don't have all the money to blow on these
k701smile.gif

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

I was about to divert cash from my camera fund when I learned about all those wireless storage drives that won't need a more complicated set-up (then again, most of the set-up work is because the people buying these servers haven't archived their music into FLAC yet).

Although I really should try to not get distracted. Almost bought a used Cayin CD50T recently, too - less than 50hours on it for about $400. And this used SCD-T200 sitting around in a local store for about $1,000 with upgraded tubes is an aesthetic match to my Cantate (basically the same series chassis). It just sucks when you don't have all the money to blow on these
k701smile.gif

I'm trying to step away from audio and into photography and fitness.. oh and I have bipolar disorder and no job. Lol, hobbies are great 
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back