Hey guys! Amplifier Pro's help me
Nov 5, 2002 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

vandit

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

This is my first post, and let me tell you im a *****in music addict. Without music I will not live, simple as that. So knowing the people here on the boards are most likely music addicts like me, we try to find the clearest, most bangin hitting lows, the crispest highs, and beautiful mids...

This leads my search for a headphone amp for my beautiful sennheiser hd-280 pros. I remember a while back I saw that people actually assemble and make headphone amps for you here on the forums, and ur pretty damn good at it too
smily_headphones1.gif

Knowing that and with my current budget of around 300 dollars, i would like to know what headphone amp would be optimal for music that requires low basslines, bangin' kickdrums, hi hats galore, and piercing synths
smily_headphones1.gif
Also, something i can use accompanied with my computer setup of the sb audigy mp3+ soundcard. Also if it can be sorta portable, to the fact where i can put it in a backpack or something to carry it.

If you can please help me out fellow music lovers, audiophile addicts
smily_headphones1.gif

I plan on using the Amp with:

Sennheiser HD-280 Pro's
SB Audigy MP3+ for computer
Sony CD Walkman D-EJ915 (Has line out *optical*

Also, what cables would i need with it?
If you can just pm me all the details and reply to this thread i would be greatly appricieated!
smily_headphones1.gif

Music ON!
vandit

Nov 5, 2002 at 2:25 PM Post #2 of 10
I'd recommend ordering a Meta42 from one of the folks who assemble them (JMT, Tangent, eric343, and KurtW). Or try your hand at building one. Even an all-out one will only run at about half your budget. You will definitely get kicking bass. Ask for stacked output buffers if you really want crushing bass. Since you're using a soundcard, I'd recommend also asking for an Analog Devices op-amp, because it will sound smoother yet at the same time more aggressive, which is probably what you're looking for in terms of sound. As for cables, get Outlaw PCA's; they're inexpensive and highly recommended.

Nov 5, 2002 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 10
I would second the Meta42, I personally don't have one. I use a Cmoy but the Meta42 is supposed to be a definate upgrade to the Cmoy. If your getting one of the guys to make an all out version I expect it will be quite a bit more than half your budget though and for the full budget you could probably get pretty silly with it.
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2002 at 7:34 PM Post #5 of 10
Your future:

1) Get some poor sucker to build you a decent META42.

2) Sell your 280pros (decent phones, but you can do better).

3) Go to Jan Meier's site and buy a pair of Beyer 770pros (only $140).

4) Rock out, blissful and happy.

Nov 6, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #6 of 10
hey thanks for the input guys but im planning on keepin my hd 280 pros for a while, meybe later on i will sell them...

i will send a pm to the people u guys listed that make those "META42's" hehe thanks guys for everything

also, i dont understand how the meta42 amp will connect to my cd player *listed above* do i connect it through line out? does it have batteries with it? someone help me, im still new to this fantastic world
smily_headphones1.gif

music ON,
vandit

Nov 6, 2002 at 4:00 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

This is my first post

Welcome to Head-Fi-- sorry about your wallet.

Quote:

This leads my search for a headphone amp for my beautiful sennheiser hd-280 pros.

Why stop there? You're much better off with the Senn HD580 which you can get for about $125 these days, a total bargain.

Quote:

Knowing that and with my current budget of around 300 dollars, i would like to know what headphone amp would be optimal for music that requires low basslines, bangin' kickdrums, hi hats galore, and piercing synths

Well... $300 will only buy you a Headroom Total Airhed or a Little... You're much better off with Jan Meier's Corda HA-1 or better. It's a little out of your price range, but you should be able to get a deal on the HA-1 and the HD600 from Jan.

You're only going to spend more on headphones eventually anyway-- take the short-cut and get a high-quality system straight away. It will only cost you more in the long run to keep upgrading incrementally.

Mark

Nov 6, 2002 at 4:02 AM Post #8 of 10
how you would connect the amp to your source is a good question to ask your amp builder becuase it can vary within your set up. if you want the input to be configured as rca, then i highly suggest what wodgy suggested, which are the outlaw pca cables for your soundcard. however, if you wanted to use it with your sony pcdp, you would have to get a mini-rca cable (well..duh). kimber and straightwire are well regarded for these types of cables. but then again your meta could possibly have a mini 1/8" input. you can use that mini-rca cable i suggested for your soundcard, and i reccommend a markertek mini-mini cable for your sony. whew, enough of my rambling..

Nov 6, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by markl
You're much better off with Jan Meier's Corda HA-1 or better. It's a little out of your price range, but you should be able to get a deal on the HA-1 and the HD600 from Jan.

hmm sounds very tempting, who is this Jan dood btw? any way i can PM him?
and around how much over 300 are you talking about? thanks in advance

music ON!
vandit

Nov 6, 2002 at 4:45 AM Post #10 of 10
actually now that i have done some thinking, i would like to stick with my headphones right now.

i love the fact that they are closed so u cant hear anyone even from like 10 feet away from you!

im not thinking of getting too into audiophilism either, i dont have that kind of money and i would rather spend it elsewhere (eek!) hehe
tongue.gif

but can someone explain these ops ur all talking about that are built in with the amplifier?

thanks in advance

music ON!
vandit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back