Here's what Beats by Dre president says about the headphones that DJ uses (according to commercial)
May 21, 2015 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

KopaZ

100+ Head-Fier

President of Beats by Dre: our headphones are not reference class, we didn't build it as reference class!
Actual Beats by Dre marketing, commercial and advertisements:
Beats By Dre headphones are used by famous celebrities and DJ's so they can hear what the artist intended to sound like.
But... here's a catch. DJ's use reference class headphones for mixing, right?
And president beats by dre said they didn't build the studios/pros/solos as reference class.
actual commercials say they are used by DJ's, which implies the fact that these are reference class headphones..

OH WAIT... ISN'T THAT FALSE ADVERTISING?

The actual article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/28287697/beats-by-dre-president-defends-headphone-bass-quality

May 22, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 11
Being reference and being used by DJs are not the same thing, nor should the terms imply that one is tied with the other.
They can say that their products are used by DJs because there actually are some that use Beats, however there's no reason that DJs have to be using reference-level headphones. In fact, I'm not sure why you think that but it may actually be the exact line of thought that Beats is trying to (indirectly) play on with young people new to headphones. 

Most DJs that I've met like having boosted bass/treble to help with beat matching, especially in live scenarios. Definitely not gear that most of us would consider "reference".

May 22, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 11
PA reference like DJ headphones tend to have a higher power rating and won't need a lot of boosting. Tiesto by Akg headphones are probably more ideal for people on a budget with the need of low-end extension. Or even Sennheiser HD280.

May 22, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #4 of 11
advertisement mean false information. To say it´ts false is like saying it´s correct information because there is a double negative.

May 22, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 11
It's just funny how they actually say they are being used by DJ's and such....
I figured many DJ's nowadays use injecting softwares for mixing prepared tone...
Though DJ's do use high-quality headphones for tones (according to my friend), or for flashy looks.

May 22, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 11
Lets face it the Beats are aimed at unedumacated, non-professional, fashionita and uncaring of people. In reference to the Studio (see what I did there?)  versions is a naming issue - playback in a studio not studio reference. It's like calling an older Jeep Cherokee uneconomical with fuel but it's doesn't matter because it's looks OK.

A professional DJ might be just using the extra low-end to beat-mix like mentioned earlier or just for extra revenue. The truth is professional headphones look dull and uninteresting. 

May 22, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 11
speaking of the low-end bass quality, my friend (from internet, but he mixes sound, so hes pretty reliable) found out that the voice coils are very loose on the drivers of studio.
he suspects the loose voice coil might be the reason why the Dres have low-end bass sound, universally.

I might buy pair of cheat used beats and do an experiment on the low-end bass sound, if i could.

apparently, my E18 portable amp+dac further emphasized the low-quality bass on the demo beats... Now i realized those demos are heavily equalized, after hearing studio.

May 22, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #8 of 11
There was a program I was trialing for a while called Reference 3. It lets you "correct" the anomalies of your headphones by balancing the differences in the frequencies for a flatter response. You do this by using a headphone profile or a custom one for your mixing headset.

Anyway it also includes other scenarios including Dr. Dre Beats as a reference point and the curve on these is a big low-end bass. I listened to them at a local electronics store once and it was a wall of bass with all the clarity scooped out because of that.

Basically not a good reproduction for the price they go for.

May 22, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 11
yeah... after demoing the m50x and m40x, i knew why many beats lovers bought/switched to m50 instead, lol
(oops, where's my detail, i should write something...)
they are seriously cheap with high-quality bass, which is opposite to studio's bloated bass....
furthermore, they also have more balanced sound than beats...
oh yeah, I also forgot M40/50's are like half of the price of studio.. which is just hilarious.

May 24, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #11 of 11
Much of the pricing of Dre Beats go into image, packaging, advertising and the headphone tuning this was just an optional thing they threw in near the end of the production. You never know if Apple is going to shake up the product design or not. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back