Here's all I can tell you: I have 5-6 year old Sennheiser 555's & it's time to get new cans.
Jun 10, 2013 at 2:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BRKGBAD

New Head-Fier
As the title says, that's the basics!

Truthfully I'm not sure where to go. I came across this forum while comparing various reviews for various new sets of headphones and figured I could honestly get some feedback from people who actually know about this stuff and have experience with it. That said, I understand that in any hobby - being an audiophile, a gearhead, whatever...there are levels. You want the absolute best? Be prepared to spend $$$$ to get it - just how there are cars $20,000 versus $1,200,000. This is no different in this market, so here's what I ask:

- $250 is what I'm looking to drop, but it is negotiable. I could probably go as high as 350-400.

seeking:

- reputable brand (decent history, not a fly by night manufacturer, good warranties, etc.)
- a set that will literally sit on my computer desk, be jacked into my speakers for my PC to either game or listen to music - more often music.
- assuming listener likes all types of music (rap to classical as an example), bass is important. low-end is a requirement, so bassless or extremely light-bass cans not an option....but not to say i want extreme sound-distorting bass either!
- look is important - HD558's look like the type of style I want to stick with, but this is more of a pro than a con but not a requirement

In this price range, I have really only found one option,  the WS99's

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-WS99-Solid-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B009FRPN2Y

..where do I go from here? i'd like to grab on amazon for security/customer service reasons if possible but if not i'm open to others...need some suggestions!

Jun 10, 2013 at 6:02 AM Post #2 of 3
"I have 5-6 year old Sennheiser 555's & it's time to get new cans."

I can tell you that the first part of this sentence doesn't necessarily lead on to the second part. I've had a pair of 555s now for many years and, though I had and still have other phones, including LCD-2 and HE-500, I wouldn't let my 555s go in a tornado. I've always felt they perform beyond their price and are one of the most neutral and honest phones on the market. Yes, they lack a little at the extremes, but that can be fixed with EQ or tone controls. Also they can be easily modified to 595 standards if you haven't already done that.

If you value neutrality, you'll have a hard time replacing them on the budget you've stated. (I tried the HD598 and didn't like them; they aren't the improvement on the 555 you might think). I currently have the Beyer DT880, which is an improvement on the 555 but not, in my opinion, a huge one, though certainly worthwhile, particularly if your 555s are starting to show signs of wear and you want something very comfortable that will last. That would be my suggestion, especially as they can be got for around $250.

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
As the title says, that's the basics!

Truthfully I'm not sure where to go. I came across this forum while comparing various reviews for various new sets of headphones and figured I could honestly get some feedback from people who actually know about this stuff and have experience with it. That said, I understand that in any hobby - being an audiophile, a gearhead, whatever...there are levels. You want the absolute best? Be prepared to spend $$$$ to get it - just how there are cars $20,000 versus $1,200,000. This is no different in this market, so here's what I ask:

- $250 is what I'm looking to drop, but it is negotiable. I could probably go as high as 350-400.

seeking:

- reputable brand (decent history, not a fly by night manufacturer, good warranties, etc.)
- a set that will literally sit on my computer desk, be jacked into my speakers for my PC to either game or listen to music - more often music.
- assuming listener likes all types of music (rap to classical as an example), bass is important. low-end is a requirement, so bassless or extremely light-bass cans not an option....but not to say i want extreme sound-distorting bass either!
- look is important - HD558's look like the type of style I want to stick with, but this is more of a pro than a con but not a requirement

In this price range, I have really only found one option,  the WS99's

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-WS99-Solid-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B009FRPN2Y

..where do I go from here? i'd like to grab on amazon for security/customer service reasons if possible but if not i'm open to others...need some suggestions!

I'd say first choose if you want closed or open headphones. Those Audio-Technicas are closed. 

That said, i've read pretty good things about the Sony MDR-MA900's on that price range. They are open design and very comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back