Here I go again, portable closed cans
Sep 30, 2009 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Zax19

New Head-Fier
Hi, here is the story
bigsmile_face.gif
:

I was about to buy IEMs for better isolation than SJ5s + better SQ, SH CX6 is quite cheap model in the Czech Republic (95 euro), but...
I had pain in my right ear for few days. I'm pretty sure it was an infection, but I treated it with corticosteroids in one balsam for my eczema, so it went well. Recently I've had the impression that my hearing got damaged (due to the infection, prolonged listening...), because I sometimes have problems understanding speech. So I got it checked and to my surprise, my hearing is just fine for my age (almost 21)
bigsmile_face.gif
. (But I forgot to get a copy if the results for my personal use, so I'll look at it next time at the doctor's.)

Since I'm commuting frequently (twice a week by train, daily on foot), I don't want to buy one comfy closed cans for indoors usage and one IEMs for outdoors usage... Well it would be the best and I guess 1-3 hour's a day of IEMs shouldn't result in another infection, but since the first one was caused just but SJ5s (5-14 hours a day), I don't want to risk IEMs... well, at least that's my current opinion.

So I'd also like to find something equal to HD-25 in terms of SQ (so something almost "endgame"
biggrin.gif
), but more pro-portable:
*Bigger size (-might sound funny but they're too small for me, I can't stand phones the size of PX 100 or PPP, it's way too small, SJ5s fit good.)
*Rugged, but smaller jack (something fit for normal pocket, "L" shape is good)
*Decent isolation (That's why I shouldn't go for ES7s right?)
*With emphasis on bass, just a little, so that in doesn't disappear in nearby traffic, like it almost happens with SJ5s.
*I don't need anything stylish, SJ5s are way too good looking for the SQ, which is more of my concern
biggrin.gif
. E.g. ES7s are way to flashy...

*Budget, well it will be completely different here, but HD-25s are for 200 euro, which is quite expensive for me. I have the money, but I want to be sure the cans won't breake right after th 2 years warranty.
I have a lot of time for this, since my SJ5s are being repaired (jack was messing with me now and then, again), so I'm going to review them once more when they get back.

Important general topic: How do you deal with clamping? At first it's too much, after a year it's noticeably weaker sound isolation... (this weakening is my big concern for portable closed cans).
And another one: In winter I can't wear hood properly, so my head would freeze x).

Thanks for help, I guess you have to be fed up with duplicate topics
biggrin.gif

Oct 3, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #2 of 6
Well, I can give you a list of what I've found and some problems related to each of these cans
bigsmile_face.gif
If anyone knows how big they are, please post it (in centimetres).
Local price is mentioned -> easier purchase, original warranty documents from authorised Czech service.

SH HD25-1 - something about 5-cm-bulky jack, also they might be to small, 285 USD.

AT ATH-ES7 - low isolation, worse SQ, design, 240 USD.

Denon d1001 -low isolation, worse SQ, 195 USD.

Shure SRH 440, coiled cable under my shirt, absence of dominant bass, 145 USD.

Shure SRH 840, coiled cable under my shirt, 285 USD.

I can't remember anything else, so fell free to add. Also local price is a big problem in general. Does anyone have experience with shipped cans and foreign warranty documents?
PS: I miss a list of cans like this, would be helpful.
Thanks again
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 12, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 6
JVC HP_M1000.........

Oct 12, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you mean by worse SQ?

Well it's comparative, I'm comparing them to the two models from high-end (HD-25s and SRH 840s), but I don't know the difference between like ES7s and SRH 440s.

Also how are those 5 at noise canceling, because ES7s and D1001 are told to have less isolation and ES7s certainly don't look rugged
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm looking for information which of them are not good enough SQ-wise and isolation-wise, so that I can reduce the number of candidates
icon10.gif

Or you can add different set of phones, just like ZARIM did (thanks, I'll look them up).
Then I can think about the way of purchase, if I should get ripped of for a local price, because it's safer and easier or if I should buy them online from a different country
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back