Help!
Jul 17, 2008 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

huskernate

New Head-Fier
I was hoping that I might be able to get a recommendation on a wireless headphone that could be used in conjunction with the digital audio out port on the back of the home theater system I have in my bedroom. We just had a baby and I would like to be able to listen to the tv/radio while he is sleeping. The digital audio out is the only available port available on the back of the receiver. By no means am I an expert with this, and do not require the top of the line equipment - just something that will serve our needs - so any recommendation would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 7
That are various type of digital audio output, can you be more specific? Are we talking about S/PDIF?

Also, does your option confine to only the back of the receiver? WHy not the headphone out in the front?

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 7
Unfortunately there is no headphone jack in the front - the best I can say about the output jack in the back is that it looks like the standard white & red audio out jacks, except it is orange - does this help?

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #4 of 7
This is probably a Coaxial Digital Output. See it here.

You will need a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter) of some sort. I don't remember seeing wireless headphone that has a DAC build-in.

How about those red and white audio output? You got those, right?

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 7
That is what it looks like... I do have the white & red outputs, but they are occupied. Is a DAC something I could pick up at Radio Shack or CIrcuit City/Best Buy? - Thanks for your help!

Jul 17, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 7
Unless you are willing to spend some money to get another DTS / Dolby receiver, I don't think a DAC is very viable option. The simpler solution is to find a selector for your RCA audio output (the red/white output) so you can switch b/w your speaker and your wireless headphone, than you can pretty much use any wireless headphone you can find on BestBuy or RadioShack. A cheap one runs less than $30, much less than a DAC.

Jul 17, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 7
ClieOS suggested what I use on my tv. For all around use (tv, music) I really like the sennheiser RS120's. They are not fancy, have a decent soundrange and the rechargeable batteries go on and on. Great for just general use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back