Help!!!
May 24, 2005 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

gundam91

500+ Head-Fier
One of the capacitors or resistors in my amp has gone bad. I have no skills whatsoever with electronics. Does anyone here live in the San Francisco Bay Area and can help me out? I am willing to pay some money.

Basically, there's a random static-like noise coming out of the right channel. I have isolated this to the amp. I have swapped out all the tubes, and the noise is still there. I had posted this problem online and someone mentioned that it is probably because a capacitor or resistor has gone bad. And I remembered that this had happened to my speaker-amp a few years back and it was indeed caused by a bad capacitor.

May 26, 2005 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 7
People here don't seem to be very helpful. I am going to try to take the amp apart and post a picture of the inside here per Fresno Bob's suggestion.

May 26, 2005 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 7
if you dont have experiance with the amp, find someone who does.

if its a tube amp, a GOOD tube repairman should be able to cure it in a little time. maybee 2 billing hours, but thats a guess. look for someone who repairs guitar amps.

ooh, if its a tube amp, dont zap yourself. you can do it with the power unpluged/off....

May 26, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod
if its a tube amp, a GOOD tube repairman should be able to cure it in a little time. maybee 2 billing hours, but thats a guess. look for someone who repairs guitar amps.

Hey Frank,

Best tube guy I know in town is Dan Torres, runs a little shop in San Mateo. Mostly a guitar amp guy (like Nikonman suggested) but he's been at it a while, I'll bet he understands hi-fi as well:

Torres Engineering
1630 Palm Avenue
San Mateo, CA 94402
Phone (650) 571-6887

Good luck!

May 26, 2005 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

People here don't seem to be very helpful.

Really they are. I have to bump some of my questions a couple times to get attention from people who can answer.

I've been here for a couple years and I've yet to have an unanswered question. And I've asked some really dumb questions.

Give them a little time and you'll get a great response like the one right above this one.

Cheers, and best of luck with your amp!

BILL

May 26, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #7 of 7
You may want to post a more descriptive subject line, rather than just help with a bunch of exclaimation points. Also you didn't mention what kind of amp it was. It may be a long shot, but someone may be familiar with that type or model of amp. People are helpful, but they don't always respond to help!!!
smily_headphones1.gif
A more useful subject line may have been "DIY help needed from someone in Frisco"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back