Help with Tinnitus
Sep 14, 2014 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Tinnyguy

New Head-Fier
Hello,
This is my first post. I am a software developer. I used to work while listening on earbuds. I was listening 2-3 hrs a day with normal headphone on my Samsung Galaxy S3.
Since last few days I developed ringing in both ears. I got an appointment of an ENT. He cleared wax. Ringing noise in my ears have significantly decreased to 90%. But its always there. Doc said it will go away and prescribed eardrops which are supposed to pullout wax. My next ENT appointment is after 6-7 days.
I've not listened to headphone since last 3weeks but there is no change in tinnitus. So i am planning again to use headphone with low volume for lesser hours/day.
Btw, i use this headphone: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00EIEYHK8?pc_redir=1409151623&robot_redir=1 . Which has perfectly balanced base and bright mid frequencies and it's low in High Frequncies already.
Ok, my point is my phone has Wolfson DAC, which has parametric EQ with 5 band. 100hz, 300hz, 875hz, 2400hz & 6900hz(with setting to -12dB - +12dB). With first & last (100hz & 6900hz being the cut-off frequencies) and rest frequencies are center frequencies.
So which frequencies are curse for tinnitus? Which eq settings of this hardware parametric EQ I should set that wont make my tinnitus worse?
Thanks in advance!

Sep 14, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 8
It might never go away. Mine is permanent, although only noticeable in very quiet environments.

Stay away from harsh treble and try to keep the volume as low as you can (yet still enjoyable).

Sep 14, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #4 of 8
I find that my tinnitus is related moreso with the volume of audio rather than the FR. I use westone's which have huge amounts of isolation (imo), and it seems like the ringing is significantly less due to the fact I don't have to blast music to overcome outside noises.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 8
I would suggest looking up tinnitus on the Mayo Clinic website or other medical site but I can tell you it isn't caused by certain frequencies. It's primarily caused by long term exposure to excessively loud noises. Mine is from too many concerts with no ear protection and working around jet engines in the Air Force. I wore ear protection but they're only good if they stay on, and mine didn't all the time for various reasons. 

One thing I learned after finding out I had tinnitus and upper range hearing loss, is that hearing loss is cumulative. Once it's lost you're not getting it back and if you don't take steps to protect your hearing in the future, it will only get worse. 

Sep 15, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #7 of 8
It might never go away. Mine is permanent, although only noticeable in very quiet environments.

Stay away from harsh treble and try to keep the volume as low as you can (yet still enjoyable).

Okay, Thank you Very much.
Btw does distorted|clipped music like some of the poor quality mp3s which has distortions and high treble can cause tinnitus?
I dont know how all of a sudden this tinnitus appear in my life. I think its my IEM or the volume which I kept has caused it. But it's strange the day before i developed this ringing that last night I continuously hear songs for 5-6 hours during working on my project. At morning I slept and I woke with tinnitus in my ears. That still makes me wonder how all of a sudden it appears in one night. Does it not gradually develop? Cause i never had it earlier.
And this tinnitus is really making me hell depressed, anxious, nervous and I cant concentrate on my work.
I really love music but now when I think about it or when i look at my IEM, it scares me to use it.

I met my psychiatrist and described him about these including depressive ness and anxiety i am having due to this, he hand me clonazepam 0.5 mg 10 mouth dissolving tablets. He even said the same that it will go away.

Will it really go away or should i prepare myself to live with it?
There are many ppl in here who're living with tinnitus. Are there any DO's & DONT's that I should follow to make it less worsen:frowning2:

Sep 15, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 8
I would suggest looking up tinnitus on the Mayo Clinic website or other medical site but I can tell you it isn't caused by certain frequencies. It's primarily caused by long term exposure to excessively loud noises. Mine is from too many concerts with no ear protection and working around jet engines in the Air Force. I wore ear protection but they're only good if they stay on, and mine didn't all the time for various reasons. 

One thing I learned after finding out I had tinnitus and upper range hearing loss, is that hearing loss is cumulative. Once it's lost you're not getting it back and if you don't take steps to protect your hearing in the future, it will only get worse. 

Okay thank you very much. Could please suggest me what should I do to make it progressive less faster?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back