Help with the new improved Grados
Apr 14, 2009 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

infam0ussteven

100+ Head-Fier
How do I open the new improved Grados, if they're still sealed with hotglue or something else? Thanks in advance.

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #2 of 6
trial and error I guess. I assume you're talking about the igrados....

Just bought a pair myself. I posted a thread on here to no success. Seems like nobody has experience opening up the latest version
frown.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 6
No, I guess he's talking about the Grado (x)xxi series. But yeah, I guess it comes down to trail and error. Did you try the hot water trick?

Apr 17, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 6
I opened my New SR-225s. They are now in 3 Pieces. There is the Shroom Cover. The driver housing, and an extension collar that the shroom mounts to. All 3 pieces are attached with hot glue. Use a Hair dryer to heat the shroom around the outer edge spraying the heated air away from the driver. Use the spoon trick to move the shroom and get it lose. Be careful of the heat shrink on the wires, it buckles easily and shrivels with too much heat, don't ask me how I know? Do not use a heat gun, it is too hot, don't ask me how I know this either?

The shroom comes off first. If you woody, you will have to remove the extension piece too. More Heat with the dryer.

May 24, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #6 of 6
Did anybody ever find out if the newer iGrados are de-foamable? Or do they lack the foam all together... which much mean they sound much better then the old stock ones right? I've heard they are glued real tight... I don't know, if they have removed the foam, they must have 'handicapped' these in some ways... no longer the SR60 drivers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back