Help With Selling Headphones Overseas
Dec 1, 2008 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

lbholde

Head-Fier
Hi. I live in the US and I have a pair of headphones for sale. I've been contacted by some folks living in the UK who are interested. What are the issues I need to consider, besides additional shipping fees? Are there currency conversion fees? What about customs? Thanks.

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #3 of 9
Customs, now that's up to you and the buyer. You can underdeclare, but when something goes wrong you're only insured for that value. If you don't want to deal with that stuff, just say upfront that you will not underdeclare an item and the buyer must deal with the customs fees themselves.

Dec 1, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #4 of 9
And shipping to the UK you'd have to under-declare a lot, IIRC it's a maximum £18 for a gift to not be taxed. Which could mean a lot of money lost (the buyers money though) if something happens to it. So it should be the buyers choice if you're willing to under-declare.

And yeah, they should be paying in USD, so you just get charged the standard paypal fees.

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 9
Cross border PayPal fees for the U.S. are 3.9% if the sender uses USD: http://ppcalc.com/

All customs, duties, and brokerage fees are the buyer's responsibility. Let the buyer choose and research the shipping method. Be up front and let the buyer know you are not responsible for any of these fees. If the buyer wants you to devalue the item, make sure he understands that you will not be responsible for a lost shipment or any damage. If you devalue a $400 item to $18, you cannot reasonably expect to insure the item for $400 without looking ridiculously suspicious.

Most important part is that you BOTH agree to each others terms.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #7 of 9
It isn't 18 USD. It was 22 euros, but this limit was raised to 150 euros for all in (item's value + shipping cost combined) . This new limit is valid since yesterday
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 11:25 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by argentum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It isn't 18 USD. It was 22 euros, but this limit was raised to 150 euros for all in (item's value + shipping cost combined) . This new limit is valid since yesterday
smily_headphones1.gif

Don't know about your country, but in the Netherlands here the new 150 Euro limit is only for the import duty, which is usually only 2-5% or so.
You still have to pay the 19% VAT so the difference is marginal.

Dec 2, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #9 of 9
I don't see any major issues really!
Apart from the fact that the parcel travel a long distance and hence have a bigger risk of getting damaged or lost.

The buyer pay shipping, and you both make an agreement about the declaration value and the risk involved if under-declaring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back