Help with purchase <$600
Sep 12, 2009 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

markdjr

New Head-Fier
Hi, I am relatively new to this. I am having a hard time pouring through all the options. Hopefully one of you is very opinionated.

I will be listening to mostly rap music off my iphone. Please recommend an equipment package for roughly $600. I would prefer used equipment in the interest of getting my best value. Thanks.

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #2 of 12
you did provide us with nothing!do you need IEM,closed can,portable can,custom iem,bassy phones,amp......

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 12
Since it's unclear about iphone(gen) and your choices, now i will recomand few packages which include IEMs, AMPs, dock cable and these willbe great for rap and some other genres. First Westone 3 IEMs+ Nuforce iCon Mobile AMPs + ALO 18AWG Jumbo Cryo dock cable. second Denon AH-C710 or JVC FX500 IEMs + Mustang AMPs + Sarn industeries Six Special dock cable. Third Sennheiser IE8 or IE7 + iBasso T4 + ALO SXC micro dock.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for the replies. Sorry for the lack of info. I am using an iPhone 3gs. I would like a relatively portable can. I will be listening to rap and ambient/jazzy stuff. Thanks again for the help. I currently have some Westone UM2's that I have been using unamplified.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 12
How portable do you want to be? if you really want portability but must have cans, you can cross off an amp. and you won't need $600 for portables. I'd go sennheiser HD 25-1 II.

if portability isn't too much of an issue i'd get a mini3 made by MisterX or Rockhopper, and a nicer pair of cans (can't suggest anything).

but ideally, portability and your price range, i'd get some low end custom IEMs. such as livewires, Alien ears, JHaudio JH5.

Sep 13, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #8 of 12
Okay

I'd still suggest the mini3. i just finished mine, and for the price (in parts. i'm not charging myself labor
smily_headphones1.gif
) it's one hell of a device. (Thanks AMB.)

and for can's, for portability, i'd still go for HD 25-1 II. Sure, you'll have some money left over, but for a portable rig, i don't think you're going to want much more.

For portability's sake, you're going to need closed cans. I don't know how you expect to spend the money (how much on amp/cans), but $600 is more than enough for a high quality portable rig. you can go a lot higher for home rigs, or even "moveable" cans, but do you want to carry around something so expensive?

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 12
I could definitely carry some bigger/more expensive cans. I will use them at home a lot too, I just figure I'm better off buying one really nice pair then two moderate pairs. I could even carry a full size can with a case if it were going to provide a substantial difference in sound quality.

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 12
[TF10, X10, W3, UM3X, SE530, or IE8] + T4

or

JH5, UE 4 pro, SA CT6, ES3X (spend a bit more), JH7

Sep 13, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeromacro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[TF10, X10, W3, UM3X, SE530, or IE8] + T4

or

JH5, UE 4 pro, SA CT6, ES3X (spend a bit more), JH7

uh.... he wants cans... not IEMs...
wink.gif

OP: thing is, In my opinion the best high end expensive, top notch cans are open backed. I don't think you'd want to be using opened back cans on the bus, or in the library. that's why a lot of people have IEMs for the road, and nice cans for home listening...

but, for all-rounders, that i know of, you'd still be in the $250 range, and not all that much higher. whereas a top notch pair of open cans can get MUCH higher.
ex.: denon ah-d1001, senn hd25-1 II... there are loads.

in any case, you might try looking at the wooden audio technicas or sennhesier closed models for your usage.

Sep 14, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #12 of 12
I think if you want to buy cans for your portable rig then Ultrasone closed cans are great choice and they sound like open fullsize cans with deep rich bass and large surround soundstage. Ultrasone HFI 450 and 580 will even further improve with AMPs(Mustang, Pico, iBasso P3+ and XM5) help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back