Help with picking CD deck..
Mar 1, 2006 at 10:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
searching for a source upgrade, used / pseudo-Vintage or new. I dont mind used gear if it means most bang for the $$.

OVERWHELMED!! So many vintage models to choose from.
I am a little partial to Technics / Panasonic MASH players, I have always found them to be warm and musical. I am certainly open to others. One thing I dont want is recessed bass or harsh highs.

Where do I start?

NAD
Rotel
Luxman
Marantz
adcom
onkyo
Pioneer
Optimus (pioneer)

Help!!? Any specific models I should avoid?... history of failure and stuff like that? I read some negatives about the multi-disk changers.

All Comments welcome!!

thanks,
Garrett

Mar 1, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 9
If you like "warm and musical," I'd suggest the Denon CD/DVD players with their ALPHA processing. I am always amazed at just how smooth this player is. It mates very well with both my warm Millett and my revealing PPA v2.

I've heard mixed things of the reliability of the Denon's 5-Disc DVD players, but I had almost 5 years of dependibility out of my DVM-3700 before a few issues popped up recently (all covered by my extended warranty), and have had my DVM-4800 for about 4 months with no issues. Previous to that, I had a DCM-560, which after a few initial issues (it was B-Stock, so the issues were again covered by warranty), gave me 6+ years of trouble-free use. IIRC there was a little improvement from the 560 to the 3700 when the went from a 20-bit to 24-bit chip, but I did little back-to-back comparisons. Denon has offered a number of single-disc and 5-disc models with the ALPHA processing, as well as incorporating it into their higher-end receivers.

HTH, and let me know if you have any other questions re: the Denons.

Mar 2, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #3 of 9
Did you have a chance to audition Shanling CD-S100 MKII?

This is what I got after doing some research on sound/construction quality (outstanding!)/price.
It has very nice, smooth, warm sound - in this department it is much better machine than its predecessor CD-S100.
(I heard opinion that the sound quality is better than NAD's 541/542 but I didn't hear NAD myself...)

Cheers!

Mar 2, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 9
I have owned a fair number of older CD players. Of these my favourite was the Rotel RCD975 which dates from 1995/1998 this goes for around $250 so is not a great bargain as such. For $100 or so the RCD855 is worth considering even if it lacks some resolution by modern standards. I did have a Denon DCD560 ($25) which was pleasantly competent and very well bullt.

Mar 2, 2006 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
Where do I start?

If you're thinking of going vintage, I'd look directly at the classic 4x oversampling players from the late 80s/early 90's. Denon DCD-15x0, Rotel RCD-x55. I'm sure there are others, but I'm not familiar with them. IMO these players are analog sounding in the highs, which is their main strong point.

Edit -- my Rotel RCD-855 does have slightly recessed bass (and I hear the 955AX does as well) so you may want to avoid these models. To my ears the 855 is a little bit midrange focused and mono-ey sounding, but very musical.

Also, the Toshiba lineup of DVD players (SD-3960, 80, etc) is well worth the money IMO, the DACs in these players sound great and are pleasant sounding even stock. Get one and have it modded eventually and you'll have a bit of a mini giant killer. The only thing is that the durability of these DVD players is in question, so if you don't do mods yourself it might end up costing more than it's worth.

Mar 2, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 9
I would check out Rotel or Marantz. I have an early 90s Rotel 5 disc changer that still play very well. Sure it is not as nice as my newer Arcam CD23T but it's not that far so considering the price difference my new Arcam should be a shamed of it's performance! Marantz had it's "era" of very good musical stuff, they lost the touch in the 90s but are coming back somewhat now.

Mar 2, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Loftprojection
I would check out Rotel or Marantz. I have an early 90s Rotel 5 disc changer that still play very well.

Ditto - I have the RCC940AX which is a little gem or big gem as it is pretty massive and these can be had for about $150, I preferred this to the Onix which I found a little toppy. I also have a Marantz changer CC4300 (2002) which performs pretty well and again can be picked up for about $150 but is a bit naff in the build and reliability departments.

I sadly begin to think that (*for me at least* as I dont want to be incinerated) there is not a lot to choose between any two CD players, my $60 DVD player is not that much worse than the NAD despite being about 1/7th of the price and my bog standard Yamaha held up pretty well to my much more expensive Rotel
confused.gif

Mar 2, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
searching for a source upgrade, used / pseudo-Vintage or new. I dont mind used gear if it means most bang for the $$.

OVERWHELMED!! So many vintage models to choose from.
I am a little partial to Technics / Panasonic MASH players, I have always found them to be warm and musical. I am certainly open to others. One thing I dont want is recessed bass or harsh highs.

Where do I start?

NAD
Rotel
Luxman
Marantz
adcom
onkyo
Pioneer
Optimus (pioneer)

Help!!? Any specific models I should avoid?... history of failure and stuff like that? I read some negatives about the multi-disk changers.

All Comments welcome!!

thanks,
Garrett

=========
Garrett,

I am also looking for a new source. Definitely no DVD, no changers.

It all depends on your budget. If you are looking for used and most bang for the bucks. I would recommend the Rotel RCD-971(predecessor of the 991 and 1072). It's such a well built unit, quite a few audio magazine reviewers are still using it as a reference CD player. You can easy find one around $300 - $400.

Have you heard of the Rega Apollo? For just under $1000 new, it's supposed to be the next best thing $80000 Wadia and it plays MP3s!!! But good luck finding one, I am trying to get one myself. It has a 3 week backlog according to the US distributor. Or as a cheaper alternative, a Rega Planet is also a good choice. It's the cheapest top load player I am aware off(~$400 - $600 for the Planet 2000).

If you have more money, do consider the Audio Aero Primer($900 - $1900 used, depends on age) or the Capitole(Capitole costs 3x the Prima), these two are tube players.

Good luck (and good luck to myself as well).

P.S. I am not affilicated with any of the manufacturers mentioned above, nor am I a dealer. Just someone who's building a second 2 channel system.

Mar 3, 2006 at 12:06 AM Post #9 of 9
I'd definitely take a look at the NAD players. They offer a lot of bang for the buck. My local dealer suggested the c542 to me over more expensive players that he sold and I've been very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back