Help with Nintendo DS lite
Jun 25, 2008 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

fran

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

God I am feeling pretty old writing this but anyway...

could someone tell me are there different versions of the DS lite for different regions? ie are they regionalised the DVDs are?

Fran

Jun 25, 2008 at 8:52 PM Post #5 of 22
You shouldn't be, as that makes absolutely no sense. The DS has no region coding, and is neither NTSC or PAL.

Jun 25, 2008 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 22
Yep - I know - everywhere it does say that there is no regionality for the NDSL so that a game frm USA will work in Europe etc.

Anyway I took a chance and ordered one form Canada. I know the charger will be a different voltage but I can look after that OK.

Fran

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 22
I use an R4DS which I think is the exact same as the M3 just cheaper. I love it and would probably not love my DS at all if I had to cart around cartridges everywhere.

Plus the DS games are very small files (some as small as 3mb) which is good for people with monthly data caps like me. But of course downloading games is BAD BAD BAD so DON'T do it or you will be punished by the fires of hell.

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #9 of 22
I get confused every time I read about these M3 or R4DS things. Are they pretty simple to use? The website selling these things are either incomplete or don't work right. Are these black market things?

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get confused every time I read about these M3 or R4DS things. Are they pretty simple to use? The website selling these things are either incomplete or don't work right. Are these black market things?

They work like a flash drive. You just copy the .NDS game files or movie files to the right folders. First you have to download the system OS files and stuff to make it work, but that's not hard.

DealExtreme: Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - Site-Wide Free Shipping (Page 1) sells them if your worried about the legitimacy of the websites. The english sites for them aren't that complete because I think they're mostly chinese so there's probably more work put into the chinese sites?

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by FeedMeTrance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I am allowed to ask this here, does anyone use the M3 thing.

I am getting a DS Lite soon, so ordered a 4GB MicroSD and a M3 thing to play music, movies and games etc.

I might be wrong however I thought, they can't use a 4gb microsd since m3/r4ds not compatible w/ sdhc.

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #12 of 22
The DS lite is is a pretty horrid video and audio player, due to very low resolution and tinny speakers, respectively. Also, last I recall, slot-1 flash carts (the ones that fit in the DS cartridge slot) cannot play GBA games.

As for flash carts in general.. yeah, they're used mainly for booting backups. Homebrew isn't so great, you're better off with a PSP/GP2X if you want to emulate old consoles and have a slightly better than half-assed media player.

Jun 27, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DS lite is is a pretty horrid video and audio player, due to very low resolution and tinny speakers, respectively. Also, last I recall, slot-1 flash carts (the ones that fit in the DS cartridge slot) cannot play GBA games.

As for flash carts in general.. yeah, they're used mainly for booting backups. Homebrew isn't so great, you're better off with a PSP/GP2X if you want to emulate old consoles and have a slightly better than half-assed media player.

Yeah, I would expect the DS Lite to suck at that, though I haven't tried.

I got an EZ Flash 3-in-1 too which goes in the GBA slot and allows you to load GBA ROMS onto it plus its a rumble pack and extra memory so you can run the web browser. PSP is WAY better for homebrew and emulation, but I use my DS alot more just because its got such fun and innovative games.

Jun 27, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #15 of 22
DSLite is fantastic for ppl who like challenging games that are puzzle and strategy oriented. My fiance simply loves her DS and is addicted to the Crosswords game right now.

Me, I prefer GTA on the Xbox 360 :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back