Help with New Portable/Transportable Rig for D-303
Apr 21, 2004 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

erikzen

06 National Meet Co-Coordinator
100% THD and S/N = 0
In anticipation of the D-303 I'm going to be getting (the money's definitely going out tomorrow! So don't worry, vwap.
cool.gif
) I want to start thinking about putting together a new system with the D-303 as the centerpiece.

The two sets of cans I currently use the most are Beyer DT-931 at home and Shure e2c or PX 200 on the road. My current amps are Xin SuperMini V6.2c, previous version Airhead and a mid level META42.

I anticipate using this primarily as a desktop/bedroom rig, although I would like to be able to use it portably. I guess my main question is what kind of amp should I use with the D-303? I don't want to give a budget right now because I will save/sell in order to finance something and I don't need to buy right away. What I'm wondering is how high up the ladder I should go. An Emmeline XP-7 or LaRocca Pocket Reference would be very nice but is that overkill with a pcdp? An amp that can be used with both batteries and a wall wart would be ideal.

Another option is using the optical out. Would I get better sound with an external DAC and an amp or wouldn't it be noticeable? Would it be worth it to buy something like the AOS Sostenuto-1 or Pace? Seems like a lot of money to put into a transportable rig.

As far as cans go, I'm happy with the DT-931 but if anyone can suggest a good headphone that has good synergy with the D-303 or a better phone that could be used portably, I'm all ears.
eggosmile.gif

One more thing, is there such a thing as good quality portable speakers? Sometimes when I'm working I like to listen to background music but don't like to wear headphones.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Apr 21, 2004 at 10:25 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
In anticipation of the D-303 I'm going to be getting I want to start thinking about putting together a new system with the D-303 as the centerpiece.

I anticipate using this primarily as a desktop/bedroom rig, although I would like to be able to use it portably. I guess my main question is what kind of amp should I use with the D-303? An Emmeline XP-7 or LaRocca Pocket Reference would be very nice but is that overkill with a pcdp? An amp that can be used with both batteries and a wall wart would be ideal.

Recently I hooked up my D-303 as follows:

D-303 -> Zu Pivot cable -> Larocco Pocket Reference

That combo sounds very good with all kinds of headphones, incl. HD650 (Zu Mobius), Ety 4S and Grado PS-1.

Then I maxed-out the combo as follows:

D-303 -> Zu Pivot cable -> Musical Fidelity X10-D tube buffer -> Zu Varial cable -> Larocco Pocket Reference

(The X10-D tube buffer is equipped with NOS tubes and powered by an X-PSU with an aftermarket mains cable and mains conditioning.)

That overkill combo sounded really, really good! The first combo is kind of portable, but keep in mind that the D-303 does not have any shock protection. The second combo is trans-portable at best, but fun to listen to.

I did not miss an external DAC, the D-303 is good enough to be used in connection with the Larocco PR. But I cannot think of many PCDPs that meet this criterion. I have tried the XP-7 and did not like it as much as the Larocco PR, but that's obviously a matter of taste. As a practical matter, the PR is equipped with rechargeable batteries and a built-in recharge circuit. Moreover, it has proven immune to the anticipated negative effects of using a generic (and affordable) 24V switching power supply, i.e. no hum or hiss, when the PSU is plugged in. The XP-7 needs a $200 custom PSU.

Apr 21, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #3 of 7
Interesting - I didn't realize the D-303 would be worthy of such a good quality amp. So you'd suggest the Pocket Reference over the XP-7? Can you give me an idea of the cost of the PR? I like the idea of the X10-D but I'm not sure I'm going to go that insane. At least not right away.
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
So you'd suggest the Pocket Reference over the XP-7? Can you give me an idea of the cost of the PR?

Yes, that's my clear favorite. Price-wise, the base model of the PR is around $350, which is the list price for the Grado RA-1 (I had that amp; the PR is way better), and the maxed-out version of the PR that I have is around $450. That includes Cardas RCAs, 4 stacked buffers per channel and Blackgate capacitors (did I forget something?).

You can get it "ultra maxed-out," which means that there are Blackgate capacitors at the output buffers (mine does not have that option and it beats the XP-7 hands down), but I do not recall the price for that option, which was only recently introduced. Finally, you can get it in black, which looks very sexy (have a look at the black PPA on www.laroccoaudio.com) and costs around $60, IIRC.

Apr 22, 2004 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 7
I've checked out the Pocket Reference a bit more and it seems like a great amp. I'm just wondering if I should spend the $350 for the standard or $450 for the maxxed out! Wouldn't a maxxed out PIMETA get me close to the Pocket Reference for $75 or $100 less? After all, we're still talking about a pcdp no matter how great it is.

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 7
This thread made me thing about using a Pocket Reference (maxed out) with my Denon DCP 150....

I will check the ultra maxed out PR...
eggosmile.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 7
DEMIW,

Do you already have a maxxed out Pocket Reference or are you going to buy one? I'm interested to hear how much it improves sound from your pcdp.

EZ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back