Help with New headphones up to £200 / $300 looking for the wow factor
May 4, 2015 at 11:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

michaelgordon

100+ Head-Fier
Im after a new set of headphones my budget is £200 / $300.

I have a pair of CALs at present and really like the sound but im after a wow factor, i have a pair of B&W P5s they are burning in but i dont think they really have that much better sound compared to the CALs so these may well be going back. 

I have tried albeit a faulty pair of M50X and didnt like the what seemed like overwhelming bass so i think these are out.

Will be used with a fiio X3 2nd gen and a fiio E11k amp listen to mostly metal and some rock.  Vocals need to be clear and i like separation, i want to hear the individual instruments and i like bass to be there but not overwhelming everything else and all together detailed sound.  Only caveat is they need to be closed as working in office and commuting.

Not interested in IEMs as just ordered a pair of the Trinity Audio Deltas on the kickstarter.

May 4, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #2 of 13
Maybe SoundMagic HP150?
Never listened to them myself, but most who have them seem to be happy with them.

May 5, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 13
Thanks for the suggestions, clamping force not a problem tighter the better.  The P5s are definitely going back i find the sound out the CAL much better.

Only issue is i cant audition there are not headphone shops to try, only those selling beats and momentums which i really dont like

May 5, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #7 of 13
Thanks, would they have the same sound, not heard of soundmagic.  Looking at them seems to get good reviews, also looking at the AKG K550 they are only £99 and getting fantastic reviews except if you have a small head, of which im not sure if i have or not

May 5, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 13
I would say that the K550 and HP150 are in a similar sound price/performance class of headphones that tend more toward neutral (but not really neutral). The K550s have the advantage of bigger soundstage--perhaps one of the best for a closed headphone. The HP150 have better subbass--it's emphasized a bit. So I like the HP150 a bit better, but see how others like the K550 a bit better.

If the K550 are a lot cheaper, then I say go for them if you think you might like them.

May 5, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #9 of 13
  Thanks, would they have the same sound, not heard of Soundmagic.  Looking at them seems to get good reviews, also looking at the AKG K550 they are only £99 and getting fantastic reviews except if you have a small head, of which im not sure if i have or not

Massdrop sometimes has the AKG K553 for a good price, not sure if they will ship it overseas.
But Massdrop might be able to ship the headphones to a business that will forward the headphones overseas.

May 5, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #10 of 13
Also look at some of the Grado range, as they provide good sound and easy to drive.

May 5, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #11 of 13
Wow factor, huh? The Bose QuietComfort 15 is still the most "exciting" headphone I've heard, even compared to much higher-end stuff. The sound quality increases significantly with an aftermarket cable. It can be found used on eBay for under $100 instead of the original $300 retail.

May 5, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #12 of 13
Massdrop sometimes has the AKG K553 for a good price, not sure if they will ship it overseas.
But Massdrop might be able to ship the headphones to a business that will forward the headphones overseas.

They have some kind of forwarding service available for many of their products, to get around restrictions on selling to certain regions/countries.

May 6, 2015 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks for everyones help and suggestions.  I demoed the 550s today and walked out with a pair, sound good out the box so im really hoping after a burn in the will get even better.  So far initial impressions good sound, vocals can sound a little forward on some tracks, good separation between instruments, bass is good and there when needed but not when its not there.  Highs sound good again a little prominent and forward but hoping this along with the bass with tighten with burn in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back