Headphoneus Supremus
The Idea:
Grado sr80i (brand new)

With:
grill popped out and replaced
New, cut, and reversed pads
Bayer headband mod

but here's the problem child:

I want to put a detachable 3.5mm jack on one side, and send a cable to the opposite side
Like in this pic:

I want to put a 3.5mm jack where this awesome person theirs, preferable right side.

I'm a auto mechanic, so soddering is child's play to me.

But I don't know any good websites that I can get the parts from,

AND TO GET WHAT PARTS

My list so far for parts:
3.5mm jack
Speaker wire (internal)
3.5mm male to male cable (5-6 feet perferb)

Does anyone know any good jacks, cable or websites to find them?

On the cheap please, no $300 cables

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 12
The Source (Radio Shack) has one or two 3.5mm jacks. Can't say about the quality, though.
The internal wires... Buy 7 feet of 4-conductor cable (Mogami), cut one foot and gut out the internal wires. Also get a couple of Canare F-12's so you can make your own cable with the rest 6 feet.

Cheers.

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks that helps a lot

But I have another quick question

Does the 3.5mm jack have four outputs for stereo?

Like can I split off the connectors for one side and the other instead of splitting the cord to both speaker?
If the connector has four, two power, two ground it would give me stereo
If I split the wire for a one power, one ground connector, it would give me mono

does the 3.5mm jack have four connetors out?

I'll look this up too

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
I've really wanted to do this mod as well, but I've heard that it makes the headphones lean to one side because of the weight.

The sr80i have larger cups then the sr80

I was thinking or getting some lead fishing line, it's lead in a wound bundle
and glueing some to the inside of the opposite to even it out. I just have to careful not to ruin sound

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 12

Quote:

Like can I split off the connectors for one side and the other instead of splitting the cord to both speaker?
If I split the wire for a one power, one ground connector, it would give me mono

The 3.5mm (TRS) jack has three conductors. The tip carries the left channel. The middle ring carries the right channel. And the sleeve carries the common ground for both. Many headphones just use three wires throughout the entire cable because of that. But some headphones, like the Grados, use four wires and only combine the ground channels at the plug end. In theory that gives you less stereo crosstalk. But in practice you probably won't notice any difference while music is playing.

But if you want to go all out with the single entry plug, you could try using a mini XLR with four pins at the headphone side, and combine the ground at the other end with a normal TRS plug. Might be a problem cramming the XLR jack in there though.

Dec 19, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Quote:

The 3.5mm (TRS) jack has three conductors. The tip carries the left channel. The middle ring carries the right channel. And the sleeve carries the common ground for both. Many headphones just use three wires throughout the entire cable because of that. But some headphones, like the Grados, use four wires and only combine the ground channels at the plug end. In theory that gives you less stereo crosstalk. But in practice you probably won't notice any difference while music is playing.

But if you want to go all out with the single entry plug, you could try using a mini XLR with four pins at the headphone side, and combine the ground at the other end with a normal TRS plug. Might be a problem cramming the XLR jack in there though.

Yeah the 3.5mm jack is pretty much the largest jack I want to put in them

Most people say to put a 2.5? in and not drill a larger hole, but I have the tools do all the work for a 3.5mm jack

Thanks, I thought about the three prong idea too

So two are channels, and one is the negative (ground) so I have to have two wires coming off the ground and separate the powers

thanks

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 12

Quote:
Quote:
I've really wanted to do this mod as well, but I've heard that it makes the headphones lean to one side because of the weight.

The sr80i have larger cups then the sr80

I was thinking or getting some lead fishing line, it's lead in a wound bundle
and glueing some to the inside of the opposite to even it out. I just have to careful not to ruin sound

I'm just going to say that that will ruin the sound. The grados are designed to have that air chamber the way it is (aka not putting things in it.) Wires won't really do much, but lead will reflect the sound. Clever idea though. I guess you could put the lead outside the chamber if you want.

You never know, they might not actually seem heavier on one side, especially depending on how much clamping force you use on your ears.

Dec 20, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #9 of 12
If I get off my butt one of these days and get into my wood shop, I could crafts some woodies and make one side thicker, as to make one side longer to add weight.

But that crafting to make woodies is pretty hard

Dec 20, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks, I kinda looked through the ideas and designs the posted

But most of them are the wood to glue types

If I'm making some woodies, their going to be a pure cut WHITE OAK slab I have hanging in my shop from when i cut down a 75 year old oak

I would make the cups form the same cut to keep sound the closest and each bowl would be a single piece (no gluing)

That's hard work

Dec 20, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Thanks, I kinda looked through the ideas and designs the posted

But most of them are the wood to glue types

If I'm making some woodies, their going to be a pure cut WHITE OAK slab I have hanging in my shop from when i cut down a 75 year old oak

I would make the cups form the same cut to keep sound the closest and each bowl would be a single piece (no gluing)

That's hard work

Good luck with that 
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back