Help with my new setup :) / fiio lod
Dec 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

audiocookie

Head-Fier
So a few months ago I began my audiophile collection with a pair of sennheiser hd 380 pros to go with my ipod/ ipad and home theater. I recently bought a fiio e11 amplifier and fiio l9 lod and just yesterday I got a pair of Sony mdr xb500s. I've been experimenting with what sounds best and I love the bass from my xb500s, especially coupled with the e11 and the sennheisers sound great, but what is the point of the lod. I notice no difference at all concerning sound quality. Am I just not a critical enough listener? Or does someone actually notice a difference. I saw someone say it bypasses the internal amp, but I don't know if that's true or not. I'd appreciate any help you guys could offer. Thanks! Alex

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 11
Depends on the resolution on your albums...
How well it is recorded
How complex the music
The volume u listen at
How well your cans are at resolving details,
Say a dt1350 would clarify your doubt.

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:09 AM Post #3 of 11
I listened to every genre on it. It's all downloaded high quality for. iTunes or 320 Kbps. And my sennheiser hd 380s are professional monitoring headphones are certainly high clarity, and I can't distinguish the difference.

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #4 of 11
U are blessed indeed, your headfi journey can end right here...
And $$$$$save up the money for your wedding ring.:D

Dec 30, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 11
Lorspeaker is right. Save some money. The HD 380 pro are good headphones. If you really want to buy something for the sake of having a new pair of cans go ahead, but think about changing the quality of your music first.

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #9 of 11
Alright look. ALL my music is 320kbps. And that wasn't the question anyway. I was asking what the lod does for your music. What is the difference of output between lod and the 3.5 mm jack. And I don't want to hear that it just sounds better. I want to know why. Thanks

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Alright look. ALL my music is 320kbps. And that wasn't the question anyway. I was asking what the lod does for your music. What is the difference of output between lod and the 3.5 mm jack. And I don't want to hear that it just sounds better. I want to know why. Thanks

I wrote the same a few hours ago: Sometimes we have to be honest with ourselves: not everyone (myself included) have perfect pitch, so there is no point of spending a lot if the differences are so thin to notice. 

Your music is encoded in what is called a lossy format. it loses some information during the ripping process. You wont be able to listen more of your music using expensive amps because there isn't anything in the source left. The reason why I posted those link was to test your ears.

LOD = Line Out Dock (with iDevices, using the dock connector, instead of the headphone out, to connect to an external amp - this bypasses the internal amp). It should sound better, or at least somewhat different. If you are not able to hear the differences don't worry, it takes some time to appreciate subtle changes. 

Internal amps are limited, they were not designed to drive high/mid impedance headphones. The explanation is long and I really don't want to spend too much time. Let's put in this way, the electrical signal sent to your headphones from the external amp should be more precise and clean than directly from the internal amp. 

[size=small] Impedance is the generalization of the concept of resistance from DC to AC. That is, it's a way to represent how much current will flow with a specified (AC) voltage across the impedance. That is, if you have one volt AC across an impedance that lets one ampere of AC current flow, the impedance is defined by the AC version of Ohm's law and is one ohm.[/size]
[size=small]  [/size]
[size=small] Since AC has not only amplitude, like DC, but also frequency and phase, this introduces the possibility that an impedance will not only allow a current to flow, but will change the phase of the signal, and respond with different amplitudes and phases as frequency changes. You can have a resistor, a capacitor, and an inductor that each have an impedance of one ohm (or a Kohm or a Mohm) at any given frequency.[/size]

I hope it was useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back