Help with my IEM decision...?
Sep 6, 2011 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

benzoylmethyl

100+ Head-Fier
I need a decent IEM for working out and travel.  I have the Munitio Tek9, and my favorite set of cans to date are my PRO900. I'm selling the Tek9 because they don't really fit well in my ears, and they're too warm for my tastes these days.

I essentially want a slightly more exciting MDR-v6 in IEM form.  I'm not really looking for another PRO900, because, well, i don't think it can be done in an IEM, and I'm going to use these for the gym and travel. That means I need speed and accuracy for working out music, but also decent mids for more relaxed music and movies.  So I was thinking a relatively flat FR that's more fun than analytical in its presentation would be perfect.

These requirements led me to the Phonek and Hifiman based on Joker's reviews.  I agree with him on almost every other IEM i've heard, and these two sound like they might fit my requirements.  Just curious to see you guys' opinions on these two.  I know the RE262 is relatively hard to drive, but I've got my digiZoid ZO for when I'm not at the gym, and I'm not opposed to picking up the new Fiio mini-amp if I like them enough.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 6
Also thought I should add that I've owned several other IEMs; for a well-known reference, I had the much lauded and equally lamented Klipsch S4.  I hated it.  It was dry, boring, and I felt like it did everything half-assed, like an employee who does just enough to continue to get his 3% yearly raise and nothing more.

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 6
Man, you guys are killing me with all these responses!!  Anyway, in case anyone decides to weigh in, my amazon wish list is now composed of: the phonak, the RE262, JAYS q-JAYS, vSonic GR07, and the Weststone 2. 

So far, the RE262 and the GR07 are leading the pack...the RE262 for its liquid smooth mids, and the GR07 for its relatively balanced presentation and freaking awesome swivel nozzles.  It sucks, though because I hear completely conflicting reports on how fatiguing the GR07 are over long periods of time.  That said, fitment in IEMs is a pretty big issue for me, so the swivel nozzles and light weight could bring some forgiveness if the sound isn't perfect.

Also, on the outside chance that someone is interested in helping me out of this IEM confusion, my primary genres are EDM and all forms of rock.  That said, I basically want my woodied Grado 225i in an IEM form factor.  I'm pretty certain that the RE262 won't do so hot with EDM, but so long as it sounds passable I won't complain. 

The real problem that I have is that I want my IEM to be good at everything, but awesome at rock and acoustic, because that's what I want to listen to when I work out and travel, respectively.

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #4 of 6
Just get the GR07...they are not fatiguing at all...I have yet to read that in the 85+ page thread either.  I've tried just about every bass-oriented headphone out there under 250 bucks and tried the GR07 based on DWeavers recommendation and it is absolutely awesome.  It can go as low as you want based on your sources (the Cowon J3 can really get low) so it's great for hip hop and it absolutely excels at rock music.  Guitars and drums are ridiculously good.  

I suppose the fatigue issue you might have heard is right at the beginning when some people notice a bit of simblance, but supposedly that tames after around 150-200 hours.  I personally don't notice it and a lot of others haven't either, so it could just be particular pairs, or the pairs of ears that are listening to them.  :)

To summarize, the GR07 is a fantastic all around performer (and I heard it pairs well with the Zo too), so you can't really go wrong with it.  I'm sure if for some reason it wasn't your cup of tea, you could flip it REALLY easy in the for sale forum.

And yes, the S4 is not good at all for the price anymore.  There are significantly better headphones in the 40 dollar area (Soundmagic e30 for one)...so it's about time for a price reduction on those dinosaurs. :)

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 6

How did you find the RE262 & GR07 on JESUS.com amazon.com? For working out there cannot be a better IEM than the W2. They are really small (at least I think so I was using Frankenstein plug TF10 before) the cord is known to be one of the best out there, and they will never fall out of your ears. They also come with a fiio E6 now.
Quote:
Man, you guys are killing me with all these responses!!  Anyway, in case anyone decides to weigh in, my amazon wish list is now composed of: the phonak, the RE262, JAYS q-JAYS, vSonic GR07, and the Weststone 2. 

So far, the RE262 and the GR07 are leading the pack...the RE262 for its liquid smooth mids, and the GR07 for its relatively balanced presentation and freaking awesome swivel nozzles.  It sucks, though because I hear completely conflicting reports on how fatiguing the GR07 are over long periods of time.  That said, fitment in IEMs is a pretty big issue for me, so the swivel nozzles and light weight could bring some forgiveness if the sound isn't perfect.

Also, on the outside chance that someone is interested in helping me out of this IEM confusion, my primary genres are EDM and all forms of rock.  That said, I basically want my woodied Grado 225i in an IEM form factor.  I'm pretty certain that the RE262 won't do so hot with EDM, but so long as it sounds passable I won't complain. 

The real problem that I have is that I want my IEM to be good at everything, but awesome at rock and acoustic, because that's what I want to listen to when I work out and travel, respectively.

Sep 9, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #6 of 6
Ok, i'm probably gonna get'em.  Thanks for the response.  It seems like they fit the vast majority of what I want.  I already have two highly specialized full-size cans...I don't want to have to worry about toting around two sets of IEMs every time I travel, too. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back