Help with itunes and ipod??
Mar 28, 2006 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sladeophile

Headphoneus Supremus
I just formatted and reinstalled xp, is there any way that I can keep my itunes files the way they were before on my ipod (with ratings) if I put all of my music on another drive (it was all on drive c before, now on drive d). I saved it all on an external hard drive and kept all of my documents and would love to be able to keep everything the way it was on itunes. Anyone know what to do?
confused.gif

Slade

Mar 28, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 5
Did you save your itunes library files? You should be able to point itunes at the "new" library on your D drive. I am pretty sure that iTunes will find a library in your My Documents folder no matter which drive it is on. My Documents is typically a symbolic link.

So just restore your saved library to your new My Documents folder.

Mar 28, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 5
Didn't work, but thanks for the help...
confused.gif

Slade

Mar 29, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #4 of 5
I believe that the data you mentioned are located in 2 files. Maybe only in 1 but I've always copied these together. They are per login and can be found here:

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl

and

C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music Library.xml

If you have the old ones then copy into the new locations. I would back up existing ones anyways. Obviously replace USERNAME with your logon.

Hope this helps.

Mar 29, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #5 of 5
I found those, but I have all my mp3s on a different hd than I did before, so I have to locate each one individually. Is there an easier way to do this? They used to be on C drive, but now they are on D drive. Thanks!
Slade

Users who are viewing this thread

Back