Help with injecting positional audio (Dolby 5.1) into my current PC audio setup without a soundcard
Jun 22, 2014 at 3:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

trogdoorman

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I was hoping one of the gurus here could help me with my dilemma:

I currently have a pair of HD800s and an Asus Essense One Muses Edition that I have hooked up via SPDIF to my computer that I listen to music on. Lately I've been PC gaming in FPS titles like Titanfall that offer positional audio. However, the Essence One doesn't have any codecs for Dolby, etc. I was wondering if anyone here might be able to help me pick out a component I could add that would allow me to inject positional 3D audio into my Essence One/HD800 combo.

I would try a soundcard in the PC and use SPDIF from there, but I'm out of PCIE slots and don't have space for a soundcard. My current connectivity is as follows:

SPDIF out from the PC motherboard >> Asus Essence One Muses >> 1/4" jack out to HD800.

I noticed the Beyerdynamic H1 has a SPDIF in AND out. If I were to switch my setup to something as follows, would that allow me to get positional audio into my HD800s while benefiting from the Essence One?

SPDIF out from PC motherboard >> Beyerdynamic H1 >> SPDIF in on Asus Essence One >> 1/4" jack out to HD800.

I'd be comfortable spending around $1000 if anyone has another suggestion as well. 

The PC itself could probably do HDMI audio out through the discrete GPU and its integrated sound is Realtek ALC1150.

Thanks for any help!

Jun 22, 2014 at 3:49 AM Post #2 of 7
Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card, comes with Dolby Headphone and can output S/PDIF optical, $40 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.

Jun 23, 2014 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 7
  Asus Xonar U3 USB sound card, comes with Dolby Headphone and can output S/PDIF optical, $40 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.

Hello, just to be clear, would this Xonar U3 output (over SPDIF) a Dolby Headphone 5.1 -> 2.0 signal that my Xonar Essence One could understand? 

theres also razer surround, which some people like better than dolby headphone
http://www.razerzone.com/surround

I tried it, but Razer Surround seems to have a slight audio delay to it that makes the sound effect happen a split second after I fire a weapon in an FPS.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 7
  Hello, just to be clear, would this Xonar U3 output (over SPDIF) a Dolby Headphone 5.1 -> 2.0 signal that my Xonar Essence One could understand?

Yes, the processed audio coming out of the U3's digital output would pass thru the Xonar Essence One to the headphones, so you would be getting Dolby Headphone surround sound coming out of your HD800s.

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 7

Yes, the processed audio coming out of the U3's digital output would pass thru the Xonar Essence One to the headphones, so you would be getting Dolby Headphone surround sound coming out of your HD800s.

Awesome! I also assume that my regular music listening from the PC won't be any less quality with the Xonar U3 added into the chain since I'm using SPDIF out on it to my Essence One, right?

Going to place my order tonight. Thanks again!

Jun 24, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #7 of 7
  Awesome! I also assume that my regular music listening from the PC won't be any less quality with the Xonar U3 added into the chain since I'm using SPDIF out on it to my Essence One, right?

Going to place my order tonight. Thanks again!

Yes, the U3 is really acting like a converter (USB to optical) and not doing any other audio quality changes to the signal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back