Help with hooking up Grado headphone amp to vintage Yamaha receiver.
May 29, 2015 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bajan

New Head-Fier
Hi...I'm new to this forum and am hoping some of you experts out there can help me out.
I have a vintage Yamaha CR-620 receiver along with a YP-211 turntable and Yamaha NS645 speakers.  It was inherited from my father and I want to keep it going for sentimental reasons, but...it is in 100% mint condition as well.
I recently bought a pair of Grado GS1000e headphones as well as a Grado RA-1 headphone amp, and a Teac H750CD player.
All arrived here today and am struggling to get things hooked up properly.
Not being well versed on this...If I can explain in simple terms.
Hooked up the cd player to the receiver...red to red...white to white.  Power cable plugged into power bar.  CD player works great.
Hooked cables the same for the headphone amp...it doesn't work. 
I can see it is getting power, and when I flip the toggle switch on and off...it gives a gentle 'pop'...but nothing coming through the headphones.
If I connect the headphone amp to the cd player directly...headphones work beautifully...but this means any time I want to listen to the turntable, or simply listen to a cd without the headphone, I have to screw around with wires.
Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

May 30, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 6
  Hi...I'm new to this forum and am hoping some of you experts out there can help me out.
I have a vintage Yamaha CR-620 receiver along with a YP-211 turntable and Yamaha NS645 speakers.  It was inherited from my father and I want to keep it going for sentimental reasons, but...it is in 100% mint condition as well.
I recently bought a pair of Grado GS1000e headphones as well as a Grado RA-1 headphone amp, and a Teac H750CD player.
Hooked up the cd player to the receiver...red to red...white to white.  Power cable plugged into power bar.  CD player works great.
I can see it is getting power, and when I flip the toggle switch on and off...it gives a gentle 'pop'...but nothing coming through the headphones.
If I connect the headphone amp to the cd player directly...headphones work beautifully...but this means any time I want to listen to the turntable, or simply listen to a cd without the headphone, I have to screw around with wires.
Thanks.

What do you mean by "hooked cable the same for the headphone amp"? You mean you're connecting the CDP (and potentially the TT) to their respective inputs on the Yamaha CR-620 which is then connected to the RA-1? If that's the case, what RCA socket did you plug them into? It has to be the rec/tape out - I can't see well on the low-res photos on the internet, but it seems like it has two sets of rec/tape ins and outs. There's also a button marked "Tape" in one of the photos but I can't make out what the other labels are, but the button might disable the output or selects from the dedicated tape input or any of the other audio input.

May 30, 2015 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks.

You could try an audio switch box, one with multiable inputs and multiable outputs.
So for only found one and it's for DJs, and it costs $150.

May 30, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #4 of 6
Did you hook your headphone amp to one of the sets of record out on your receiver? Then set the record out on the front of the receiver to the input the CD player is hooked to? And if one of the record out RCA sets doesn't work, try the other (I think you have two Tape record outs).

May 30, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Did you hook your headphone amp to one of the sets of record out on your receiver? Then set the record out on the front of the receiver to the input the CD player is hooked to? And if one of the record out RCA sets doesn't work, try the other (I think you have two Tape record outs).

Yes, cel4145 is exactly correct.  In addition, I looked up your User's Manual on HiFiengine.com (attached). It says simply to select the "REC OUT SELECTOR" to the source you want the tape deck to record.  Assuming you use "AUX" for the CD player, then you would connect your headphone amp to one of the "REC OUT" RCA jacks on the back.  Move the "REC OUT SELECTOR" to "AUX" and you should be able to hear through your headphones and the headphone amp.

In reading the manual, it appears that REC OUT for TAPE 1 and TAPE 2 are simply ganged together, so either should work with your headphone amp.  The receiver is not set up to record to two different tape decks from two different sources - only from a single source.  This is how most vintage receivers worked with two tape decks connection capability.  The added feature for two tape decks was the ability to copy from one deck to the other, not in using different sources for different decks.  An additional switch box would be required for that.

BTW, tape deck outputs and inputs are exactly the same as an AUX input/output.  You can connect any line-level device for input or output using these jacks - not just tape decks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back