Help with growing ear canals
May 5, 2015 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Fredrik23

New Head-Fier
I need some help and tips considering the way your ear canals change. So this is the deal: I am 14 years old, and recently I bought the Shure se846. I am really pleased with them, but is not 100% happy with the fit. (I have tried all the tips that came with them) So I was thinking of buying custom tips from Sensaphonics. After doing a little research I read that your ear canals can change quite a bit in my age, and therefore buying custom is risky. I am Norwegian and due to customs and shipping it is going to be quite expensive, so I don't know if it is worth it. I really want to try, but if any of you guys got any tips it would be great.
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #2 of 23
A relatively cheaper and remoldable alternative to a acrylic/silicone custom sleeve that might work for you would be Decibullz. They won't pose the same complications that a custom fit at your age would provide, while maintaining a custom fit's advantages. There are several videos on their website explaining how to use them.

May 6, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 23

Thank you for your reply. I went to their website and they seem really interesting, but would they fit the se846? I looks like the shape of the se846 could be a little difficult to use with the Decibullz.

May 6, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #4 of 23
I've never actually tried them myself, so I cannot say. However, I do see they mention incompatibility with Shure (amongst others) - sorry for the misleading information.

May 6, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 23

Thank you for answering so quickly
biggrin.gif

That's too bad, they seemed very interesting. I want to try the Sensaphonics shells, but maybe I will just try some universal tips from some other brands.

May 6, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 23
have you tried comply? i use them with my universals and they are my favourite.
I don't know if it is a good idea to put some hard acrylic in your ears since as you mentioned your ear canals are still growing. I'm not a physician, just saying :)

May 6, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #7 of 23
Oh wow i never thought id meet another 14 yr old audio geek in my life (im a 14 yr old audio geek)
I got the shure se215 and yes, having tried westones, i do not like the way shures fit (i think they all come with the same tips but without yellow foam and tri flanges). I noticed my canal changing quite a bit and eventually the seal would break more often when i open my mouth... i got the yellow foam tips and that pretty much helped big time... have you tried those?

May 6, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #8 of 23
No, I have only tried the included tips. I see your point with the acrylic
wink.gif
. I have been considering comply, and maybe picking one of their models. What model do you use?

May 6, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #9 of 23
Oh wow i never thought id meet another 14 yr old audio geek in my life (im a 14 yr old audio geek)
I got the shure se215 and yes, having tried westones, i do not like the way shures fit (i think they all come with the same tips but without yellow foam and tri flanges). I noticed my canal changing quite a bit and eventually the seal would break more often when i open my mouth... i got the yellow foam tips and that pretty much helped big time... have you tried those?

Hey, cool to meet someone my age:) Yes, first I stuck with the yellow tips, but I thought they became uncomfortable after maybe 30min or so in my ears, so now I use the small olive tips. In what way did you notice your ear canals changing? I have not noticed anything
blink.gif
(but I have only used shure for 6 months)

May 6, 2015 at 3:46 AM Post #10 of 23
  No, I have only tried the included tips. I see your point with the acrylic
wink.gif
. I have been considering comply, and maybe picking one of their models. What model do you use?

i no longer use universals so i can't tell you which model is the best, but i used T series without filters. for shure i think the model is t-100

May 6, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #12 of 23
Well, i do not like the way the se215s protrude out of my auricle (i expect the 846 to be worse) so i used the small olives but fitted at the tip of the nozzle so they would go in deep and keep the seal. This worked for a few months... but then they soon break seal everytime i open my mouth/turn my head and it inly gets worse, so now im using medium olives... i never really used the foamies (theyre on another earphone that i use during my studying) and i suspect my canal is changing shape

May 6, 2015 at 4:08 AM Post #13 of 23
When I bought the 846s I was concerned that they would protrude, but i have not any problems with it.(of course, everyone has different ears) 

The small olives still seals nicely for me, but I have also noticed some changes. I have used them since November, and at the start they were perfect, but lately my ears (especially my left one) have started to hurt a little after about 40min of use. First I got really concerned and checked if I was listening at too loud volumes, but that was not the case. A few weeks ago I wore the 846s in my classroom to block out all the noise (I did not listen to music, I just had them in my ears) and the same pain came. Have you experienced anything like this?

May 7, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #14 of 23
Well let me tell you i listen at ridiculously low volumes at 1/15 smartphone level and im too "student" to buy an amp and yes, it hurts after a while and i say its because the back of the housing is pressed against the inside of the pinna due to the rather stubborn memory wire. This doesnt happen as much with the foamies and more with smaller tips as the housing has more room to move around (and thus exert more pressure). Since there is no way i can afford anything close to an 846, im considering a westone um pro 10 as an upgrade. A LIL BACK STORY: i live in a lil known country Myanmar. We dont have headphone retailers here. While on holiday to singapore, i spent two days wandering shopping malls searching for the 215. And when i did find it at the airport 2 hrs before leaving, i ended up paying USD 130 (30 more). I got the clear version. Meantime, my parents were in hong kong. They found out what i wanted (probably from my shopping list) and i guess im too special, they got me a special edition 215. Now i got two 215's. Had i known that, id have get the um pro (MSRP 150 USD) for like, 30 USD more (gee i really should shut up now)

May 7, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #15 of 23
Yeah, it is probably that, because I think the 215 hurt a little more than the 846 (the 215s have edges, but the 846s are round)

That is quite a story
redface.gif
 I can tell you how i actually afforded the 846. (I don't want people to think I'm stubborn and got them from my parents or something
frown.gif
) So in 2009 i bought a lego set: The Ultimate Collectors edition millennium falcon. I built it and it sat in my room until March 2015. I did not really get any joy from it and it took up a lot of space, so I wanted to sell it. I checked Ebay and it was worth quite a lot of money! so I sold it a couple of weeks later for 15000nok! (2000usd!) So the first thing I did was to go to the an audio shop in the capitol Oslo and buy the 846!
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back