Help with going balanced
May 14, 2019 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

jordannn15

500+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of HD660’s and love them. I have always thought about trying out balanced but am not sure of what I would need and which amp/dac to get.

I was looking at this amp/dac combo: https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-liquid-carbon-x-sdac-dac-amp

I need to be able to connect it to my ps4 and my laptop. I see that rca is only for single ended and it has separate connections for the balanced input. What cables would I need to be able to use this with a laptop and ps4?

Any other suggestions for balanced amp/dac combos that have about the same power output for less money than the one I linked to? Would definitely appreciate help with this, thanks!

May 16, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 20
The LCX has a micro usb input on the back so you just need a decent micro usb cable from your laptop to the LCX, then just plug your headphones in.

Oh it’s that easy? I don’t have to use the balanced inputs to get balanced output? Just micro usb to my laptop and ps4 and have a balanced cable for my hd660’s? Awesome, thanks!

May 16, 2019 at 2:26 PM Post #4 of 20
I have a pair of HD660’s and love them. I have always thought about trying out balanced but am not sure of what I would need and which amp/dac to get.
I was looking at this amp/dac combo: https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-liquid-carbon-x-sdac-dac-amp
I need to be able to connect it to my ps4 and my laptop. I see that rca is only for single ended and it has separate connections for the balanced input. What cables would I need to be able to use this with a laptop and ps4?
Any other suggestions for balanced amp/dac combos that have about the same power output for less money than the one I linked to? Would definitely appreciate help with this, thanks!
For the laptop, you just need to connect a USB cable, from the computer (PC, Mac, desktop, laptop, etc) to the Liquid Carbon X.
Get an optical DAC, so gaming console (PS4) to DAC (using optical), the analog cable from DAC to Liquid Carbon X (RCA input).
The FiiO D03K is a decent low cost DAC.
Hifimediy has an optical DAC for $59 (+tax/shipping)
https://hifimediy.com/SPDIF-9018-DAC

May 16, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 20

The issues I see with the unit that you're looking at is that it's capped at 24bit/96khz and doesn't have an optical input. Because you want to connect a PS4 and a laptop, I would suggest a unit that has both USB (for laptop) and optical (for PS4) inputs. Something like the Aune X1S/X7S stack would meet this requirement and would allow 24bit/192khz playback. And the price point is about the same, too.

May 16, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #6 of 20
The issues I see with the unit that you're looking at is that it's capped at 24bit/96khz and doesn't have an optical input. Because you want to connect a PS4 and a laptop, I would suggest a unit that has both USB (for laptop) and optical (for PS4) inputs. Something like the Aune X1S/X7S stack would meet this requirement and would allow 24bit/192khz playback. And the price point is about the same, too.

Have been looking into this Aune stack that you recommended. People have said there is a noticeable and annoying hum at medium and high gain. Do you notice this? Any other options that you would recommend? I have a cheap Fiio dac that has optical for my ps4 but would like a balanced amp and balanced dac.

May 16, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 20
I really wouldn’t worry myself about going balanced. It really doesn’t sound night and day better. I like the added power from the balanced amp but I don’t think it is so much better that I couldn’t listen to single ended again.

May 16, 2019 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 20
I really wouldn’t worry myself about going balanced. It really doesn’t sound night and day better. I like the added power from the balanced amp but I don’t think it is so much better that I couldn’t listen to single ended again.

agreed. Is it better, subjectively to many, yes. Night and day, definitely not. Balanced is going to be more prominent over long cable runs. The real problem is, the option is there and many of us just have to poke the bear.

May 16, 2019 at 7:45 PM Post #11 of 20
gotcha. one downside to that one is it has no optical input for your ps4. do you already have a dac/amp setup and just want to try balanced or are you starting from nothing? You've got 660s so I assume the former yeah?

May 16, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #12 of 20
agreed. Is it better, subjectively to many, yes. Night and day, definitely not. Balanced is going to be more prominent over long cable runs. The real problem is, the option is there and many of us just have to poke the bear.
I’m not saying don’t go balanced. Yes the XLR connector was made for long microphone runs to reduce the hum from them and then Audiophiles latched on to it as if helps microphones then its gotta be better for my audio. I was just saying don’t expect going balanced will make them sound so much better. Most people think so because of the added power which I do like but volume matched would be hard to tell the difference. As for the Liquid Carbon I love that amp as I have the original first run and it will never leave my hands just lovely and can run my Abyss without a problem. I do have a balanced dac as well (Schiit Yggdrasil) and a Audio GD Master 9 amp that is also balanced and just can’t hear much difference in going fully balanced just saying and that is pretty good gear but I tend to listen to music with my gear and not listen to my gear with the music (Sorry had to rip that saying from Alan Parsons but so true).

May 16, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 20
Just to be clear, I agree with you completely buke. Hope it didn't come across otherwise. I do know the ps4 can play relatively nicely with some usb dacs, perhaps the LCX is one of them. If google doesn't provide the answer then it may be worth trying out jordan. Personally I'd prioritize music over the ps4 (of which I have 2) and specifically balanced for the ps4 would be at the bottom of my list if on it at all.

May 16, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #14 of 20
gotcha. one downside to that one is it has no optical input for your ps4. do you already have a dac/amp setup and just want to try balanced or are you starting from nothing? You've got 660s so I assume the former yeah?

True. I’m not particularly worried about balanced output from the ps4, just need something so I can use my 660’s with it. I have a cheap Fiio dac and a JDS Labs Atom amp.

Just to be clear, I agree with you completely buke. Hope it didn't come across otherwise. I do know the ps4 can play relatively nicely with some usb dacs, perhaps the LCX is one of them. If google doesn't provide the answer then it may be worth trying out jordan. Personally I'd prioritize music over the ps4 (of which I have 2) and specifically balanced for the ps4 would be at the bottom of my list if on it at all.

Definitely want to prioritize music listening over ps4 usage. Just want to be able to use my headphones with the ps4.

May 16, 2019 at 11:26 PM Post #15 of 20
Have been looking into this Aune stack that you recommended. People have said there is a noticeable and annoying hum at medium and high gain. Do you notice this? Any other options that you would recommend? I have a cheap Fiio dac that has optical for my ps4 but would like a balanced amp and balanced dac.

My X7S has been great, no hum or noise at all and I keep it set on medium gain. I don't think you can beat it for the price, the XLR out is very powerful and has an assertive yet warm sound to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back