Help with DAC/amp Combo for Home and Portable Use
Jul 20, 2012 at 10:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MetalHealth30

Head-Fier
Hello, I recently have decided to buy some Fostex t50rp's and mod them, but I have been told that I will need an amp because the modding process decreases their efficiency. I already have some modded HD 428's and some sr80i's sitting around, and I am looking for a DAC/Amp combo in the $50-$100 range to use with my computer (running onboard sound at the moment) and with my clip+ when I am not at home. 

Some possibilities:
Fiio E7 (leaning this way due to budget)
Fiio E10 (would like portable though, that's why I posted this here)
?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Edit: Forgot to mention that they could be separate, like an e11 paired with something like this: Hifiman HM-101

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 7
I would go for the e7 if I were you.  It would be much more portable than an amp with a separate DAC, also if you ever get some harder to drive cans you can spend $100 bucks on the e9 and dock this in it. That's what I hope to do.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:
Hello, I recently have decided to buy some Fostex t50rp's and mod them, but I have been told that I will need an amp because the modding process decreases their efficiency. I already have some modded HD 428's and some sr80i's sitting around, and I am looking for a DAC/Amp combo in the $50-$100 range to use with my computer (running onboard sound at the moment) and with my clip+ when I am not at home. 

Some possibilities:
?

Edit: Forgot to mention that they could be separate, like an e11 paired with something like this: Hifiman HM-101

Do you need portability?

At this range, having a balanced amp and DAC would be good. There are a few $80 good DAC's and $60 good amp's but getting a cheap $20 DAC that is even laughable with a amp that is above it is alos a no no.

Jul 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Some possibilities:
?

Asus Xonar DG sound card (for it's DAC) for your computer.
Fiio E11, can plug into the DG and can travel.

Jul 21, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Hmm, this is an attractive option, I'm guessing the Xonar has some sort of line out function? 

Also: This one?

Just plug the E11 into the (green) line-out/headphone jack of the DG.
Only $15 after mail in rebate.
Plus Dolby surround sound headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back