Help with Creative labs X7 and Beyerdynamic T1
Jul 27, 2020 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

J1ms

New Head-Fier
Greetings! Wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how to solve it? I have Beyerdynamic T1 headphones and a Creative Labs X7 Limited edition DAC that is my computer sound. I also have a Focusrite 8i6 3rd generation powering a Electrovoice RE27N mic connected to my computer via USB. The sound is good, but after a few minutes of gameplay, the sound starts to crackle and slow down and break up. All my drivers and firmware are up to date. I've tried everything from removing the software and reloading it, updating all the drivers etc. I'm not sure if I should be looking for a better DAC or connecting it differently? Any help would be appreciated.

Jul 28, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 8
Have you contacted Creative Labs? The Beyer is 600 ohms and the sensitivity is close to the 300 ohm Sennheisers. On paper it will be twice as hard to drive. Although Creative makes claims about being able to drive 600 ohm headphones and lists the specs for the speaker output, it doesn't list any specs for the headamp.

Not knowing any details, I would suggest you remove as many components from your setup as possible and check things step by step. Disconnect the audio interface (focusrite) and use just the DAC and your Beyers. Go from there.

It may very well be a software issue, if so Creative labs should be able to help.

Jul 28, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #3 of 8
Greetings! Wondering if anyone else has had this issue and how to solve it? I have Beyerdynamic T1 headphones and a Creative Labs X7 Limited edition DAC that is my computer sound. I also have a Focusrite 8i6 3rd generation powering a Electrovoice RE27N mic connected to my computer via USB. The sound is good, but after a few minutes of gameplay, the sound starts to crackle and slow down and break up. All my drivers and firmware are up to date. I've tried everything from removing the software and reloading it, updating all the drivers etc. I'm not sure if I should be looking for a better DAC or connecting it differently? Any help would be appreciated.

Jul 28, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #5 of 8
Have you contacted Creative Labs? The Beyer is 600 ohms and the sensitivity is close to the 300 ohm Sennheisers. On paper it will be twice as hard to drive. Although Creative makes claims about being able to drive 600 ohm headphones and lists the specs for the speaker output, it doesn't list any specs for the headamp.

Not knowing any details, I would suggest you remove as many components from your setup as possible and check things step by step. Disconnect the audio interface (focusrite) and use just the DAC and your Beyers. Go from there.

It may very well be a software issue, if so Creative labs should be able to help.
Thank you very much for your reply and help.. I'll do all of that... Any suggestions for a powerful enough DAC to run the headphones and computer sound if it turns out the Creative Labs can't?

Jul 28, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #6 of 8
If you want to spend money preemptively that is absolutely an option. But perhaps it's better to verify your current setup is configured correctly and doesn't have any problems. :)

Aug 3, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #7 of 8
If you want to spend money preemptively that is absolutely an option. But perhaps it's better to verify your current setup is configured correctly and doesn't have any problems. :)
Absolutely No will I spend money without discussing the issue with Creative labs first. In fact, I'm in progress with that right now. I think I was looking for some suggestions of good quality options for the pairing of devices. I like to research and review before I spend money anyway and I thought I could educate myself on what's available.

Aug 3, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 8
I suggested to go through a process of elimination and connect the least amount of stuff possible to know where the problem starts.

You have some very good headphones that are much harder to drive than headphones designed to run off portable devices. You really need an appropriate amp and probably a better DAC. For that, look in the T1 threads. There is at least one megathread on the T1 2nd gen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back