Help with choosing an IEM to replace the Shure 420...
May 24, 2011 at 10:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Solude

Headphoneus Supremus
I currently have the Shure 420 which is a good playback IEM but now that I'm playing drums again its not working out.  The recessed treble makes picking out cymbal work difficult.  So I need an IEM with more treble heat than the Shure without dropping bass.  Basically need the IEM most suited to the whole drum kit playback.

I've been reading for a few days and basically came away with... no one seems to agree on much in the IEM world.  For example I have seen the Westone UM3x described as mid centric, v-shaped, bassy, recess treble...

So IEMs do the whole drum kit right?

May 24, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #2 of 8
Hm, from what I've heard about it, the ATH-CK10 might fit your bill.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/553745/top-tier-showdown-updated-dba-02-mtpc

Perhaps read through this thread and ask your question there.  He's used both of them.

May 24, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 8
CK10 and ER-4 are both excellent, extremely resolving. A good fit/deep seal is critical though otherwise they will be lacking lows.

CK have a little more bass, superb midrange, stealth-like quiet cable, tip finicky
ER-4 smoother highs, superb isolation, noisy cable but replaceable and seems "bulletproof", when bass is boosted by eq is very deep, tight and detailed(magical all around):)

From what I've read the DBA-02 should also be a contender. Haven't heard it though.

May 24, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 8
Not looking for a mirror, just to bring up the treble energy.  Ie not willing to lose toms and bass drum for cymbals :wink:  Or are you saying the CK10 does the bass drum "right".

May 24, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #5 of 8
Everyone has their own opinion of how much bass is just right. To my ears they both have enough. The CK has a little more but as I said fit and seal is critical. They might not work well out of the blister pack, they didn't for me. After I found the right tips/fit for me I realized what all the fuss was about. Are they perfect? No, nothing is but they do a lot of things right. If you are interested in them you can read other opinions here, http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/467576/audio-technica-ath-ck10

May 24, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #7 of 8
From what I understand the LCD-2 in fact has rather laid-back treble, but I could be wrong. :p

But yeah, if treble is all you're looking for, maybe the DBA-02 could be what you're looking for.

May 25, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #8 of 8
Focus on the treble is the last thing I'm looking for.  I'm looking to take the Shure and boost the top kind of like this, minus the spike...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back