Help! Which speakers, amplifier, headphone and boom arm to choose?
Mar 6, 2018 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

trendem

New Head-Fier
Hi audiophiles, I need advice on my setup.

I need a setup to play music, do streaming/recording and general internet stuff.

These are the equipments I already have:

(Note that the Sonodyne equipment above is a clickable link... it takes you to the manufacturer's page where you can read the specifications.)

1) Any advice about the headphone? I am going to get my headphone second hand, and I'm choosing between Sennheiser HD 598 SE open back, Sennheiser HD 598 CS closed back, and Audio Technica Ath M-50x, all for a similar price. I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser HD 598 SE, because I work mainly in my mostly-quiet room, so I think open would suit me better.

2) Do I need the boom arm, or can I do without it? (the shock mount that came with the Rode microphone seems to require to be plugged into something.) Is there an alternative to a boom arm? (If I do need a boom arm, I'm thinking of getting the Rode PSA-1 boom arm).

3) Most important question: What do I do for speakers + amplifier? Long story short: I have the Sonodyne speakers and amplifier as leftovers from a restaurant that I ran a year ago. Should I sell them second hand ( If I sell them both I'll get around 300$), and buy something else (possibly second hand) for speakers/amplifier? Or should I just keep them and use them as speakers?.

Here is a picture of the Sonodyne speakers + subwoofer framework I have: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TLZTRrOT3qMFWdExKgcxsnue-GcYAt43/view?usp=sharing

As you can see it was built for showrooms and is kind of bulky... I would have to hang it from the ceiling.

If you suggest I keep the Sonodyne speakers + Sonodyne amplifier, how would I make them work with my setup? Would they be plugged into the Scarlett 2i2?

Thank you! I really appreciate your help, because I'm a complete newb at this.

Mar 7, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi,

The only thing I know a thing or two about out of the things you mention are headphones. The ATH M50x is a pair of headphones I always like to recommend. They are really neutral headphones that in my opinion sound very good for the money even without a dedicated DAC/amp in most cases. You also mention recording stuff next to listening to music. I think those neutral headphones would be great for your purposes! I own a Sennheiser HD800 myself and bought a pair M50x for a friends birthday and was really impressed with them, so much so that I am considering getting a pair myself for outside of my room.

Sorry don't know too much about the other things you mention.

Mar 7, 2018 at 8:57 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi,

The only thing I know a thing or two about out of the things you mention are headphones. The ATH M50x is a pair of headphones I always like to recommend. They are really neutral headphones that in my opinion sound very good for the money even without a dedicated DAC/amp in most cases. You also mention recording stuff next to listening to music. I think those neutral headphones would be great for your purposes! I own a Sennheiser HD800 myself and bought a pair M50x for a friends birthday and was really impressed with them, so much so that I am considering getting a pair myself for outside of my room.

Sorry don't know too much about the other things you mention.

Oh, thank you so much for your input! I'll definitely consider buying the ath m50x.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back