Help which one? K701, HD650, SA5000 or higher model grado?
Mar 16, 2006 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jas_kidd32

100+ Head-Fier
Here's my situation. I own an E4C and MS1. I love the E4C's intimacy, details and instrument separation but i feel like they're lacking some bass and a fuller sound that a full-size headphone provides. I like the MS1 for rocking, and the punchy bass is just spot on. Its a very fun headphone, aggressive and very involving but lacks the details and separation that the E4C provides.

Also, I decided to purchase a high end headphone around the price range of the headphones i mentioned in the title. So which one would better suit my liking out of the ones mentioned. Better yet, which one combines the strengths of my two headphones.

I have auditioned both the K701 and HD650, out of the two the HD650 was a more welcomed change in sound sig but both are not burnt in so i wouldnt know how much better the K701 gets. The K701 reminded me of my E4C but the added headspace made it sound too refined and "thin", like a E4C with a lose fit. Pardon my terms. The HD650 just sounded fuller and had more weight in the sound overall. I sampled the Pink Floyd's "The Wall" album on both and the track "Another Brick In The Wall, Part 1 " (which is my reference track for anything audio related) and was really impressed by the way the HD650 dealt with that track. Mind blowing!

I listen to a variety of music but mostly rock and because of that i am also considering an upgrade to a higher grado model. I am also considering the SA5000 coz a lot of head-fiers compared them to the E4C.

I'm leaning towards the HD650 (vs the K701) but many head-fiers here claims that the K701 improves a lot with burn-in. Just how much better does it get? To make a long story short, someone give me their suggestion and help me decide.

Mar 16, 2006 at 3:58 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by jas_kidd32
Here's my situation. I own an E4C and MS1. I love the E4C's intimacy, details and instrument separation but i feel like they're lacking some bass and a fuller sound that a full-size headphone provides. I like the MS1 for rocking, and the punchy bass is just spot on. Its a very fun headphone, aggressive and very involving but lacks the details and separation that the E4C provides.

Also, I decided to purchase a high end headphone around the price range of the headphones i mentioned in the title. So which one would better suit my liking out of the ones mentioned. Better yet, which one combines the strengths of my two headphones.

I have auditioned both the K701 and HD650, out of the two the HD650 was a more welcomed change in sound sig but both are not burnt in so i wouldnt know how much better the K701 gets. The K701 reminded me of my E4C but the added headspace made it sound too refined and "thin", like a E4C with a lose fit. Pardon my terms. The HD650 just sounded fuller and had more weight in the sound overall. I sampled the Pink Floyd's "The Wall" album on both and the track "Another Brick In The Wall, Part 1 " (which is my reference track for anything audio related) and was really impressed by the way the HD650 dealt with that track. Mind blowing!

I listen to a variety of music but mostly rock and because of that i am also considering an upgrade to a higher grado model. I am also considering the SA5000 coz a lot of head-fiers compared them to the E4C.

I'm leaning towards the HD650 (vs the K701) but many head-fiers here claims that the K701 improves a lot with burn-in. Just how much better does it get? To make a long story short, someone give me their suggestion and help me decide.

There will always be that doubt in your mind. So I would say purchase both, and be happy.
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 9
I knew someone would say that. The HD650 and K701 have the same price here in Australia (~$800AUS) and if i buy it locally, the price i pay for one headphone in Australia could buy both the 650 and 701 overseas.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 9
If you've had a chance to audition, then you're in the best position to decide for yourself. Seems like you prefer the weightier HD650 sound.

Burn-in might affect things a bit, but it is highly unlikely to change the fundamental nature of a headphone's sound.

Mar 16, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 9
I think the adage 'trust your own ears' applies here. If you've had a chance to listen to both headphones and preferred one, I would definitely go with that one. Yes things will or may improve a little with burn in but your initial impressions will probably prevail. Of course if you'd said you liked Bose Triports over the K-701, I would have (politely) suggested a second listen. With top picks like the HD 650, RS-1, SA 5000, DT-880 etc etc preferring any one over the other is no surprise, and each of these headphones has a large following here.
As far as price goes, you could always keep an eye on the for sale forum, I've seen a couple of in Australia sales here, and some sellers will ship to Australia. Going this route you may be able to pick up both eventually for the price of a new HD-650 that you mention! The K701 has had lots of buzz and has only been available a short time and in limited quantities, but believe me, over time there will be lots of sales of the K701. Given the vast range of opinions on the previously mentioned 'top picks' it's almost inevitable that some of the people who buy K701s will eventually move on. Seek out a used pair of 650s now, and get used K701s in the future.

Mar 16, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #6 of 9
" I sampled the Pink Floyd's "The Wall" album on both and the track "Another Brick In The Wall, Part 1 " (which is my reference track for anything audio related) and was really impressed by the way the HD650 dealt with that track. Mind blowing!"

I think you have you're decision in your quote above.

You really can't go wrong between the two.
I've got the 580's and love them, but for rock I like a little more forward presentation. My Grado's are just a little to forward. I have the 701's on the way.
Although burn-in definetly makes a difference, you seem to like the Senn. sound. I could live with my 580's without a problem, and the 650's are a good jump up from them for rock.
From what you've said, go with the 650's and start to enjoy for years to come..........Jim

Mar 17, 2006 at 1:08 AM Post #7 of 9
Well one thing you're not considering is that the 650 will also improve with burn in. Brand new the bass is bloated and muddy. After burn in it clears up and tightens up and the highs get even sweeter.
Go with the 650s. You'll be amazed how much better they sound after 100 hours.

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #8 of 9
I have to disagree with some of the posts above. If 1 or both of the headphones were not burned in, you really don't know what they will sound like.

I would try to listen again because some headphones improve more than others. Either way, I don't think you could kick yourself with either one you get - I've heard the 650 and think it sounds great (more exciting than the 600s), but maybe not as accurate (read: boring). I haven't heard the 701's yet.

Mar 17, 2006 at 4:25 PM Post #9 of 9
Get three: HD650, SR325i, K701. HD650 and SR325i represent the two extremes in sound presentation (laid-back -> super engaging). The K701 are in the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back