HELP: Where to get Etymotics from in the UK
Aug 11, 2002 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jimbobuk

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there...

I am looking at finally setting myself up for portable listening.. I've enjoyed my HD600s at home now for 2 years or more.. I would love to spend more money on them or higher end headphones but for now I'm happy.. I want to get some quality tunage for work and walking, travelling.. I'm sooo close to getting an ipod and to match I am finally going to get etymotics...

Probably going to buy the ER-4Ps... and then get the adaptor lead to make them into ER-4Ss later... I am keen to try and minimise cable noise, and if this is still an issue with the 4P I would love for etymotic to look further into this... Sennheiser's HD600 is impressively not microphonic (tho ok i'm not too active in them) only really picking up static when they come in touch with a tv screen say.. I've seen that Koss phones seem to come with leads coated in fabric, is this to stop this affect to?

Anyways of course firstly I need to buy these things... I am not keen on ordering from headphone or any other US based shop, no offence guys but at such a high cost I would like more direct comeback from a UK based firm... Some ppl have said on here that they brought from an UK importer but they then fail to mention who!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've found the following places so far...

@ http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/review/89043.html

"The UK distributor Elcea 01582 767 007 won't take credit card payments, you have to send them a cheque first, but postage is included, and it costs £210 plus VAT from them. "

@ http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...tymotic+AND+uk

NickB said "This is my first post. I took delivery of my 4P's this week through a UK importer. "

@ http://www.pjbox.co.uk/Etymotic/etymoticindex.htm

PRICE: £269.00 (incl. VAT)

This was where i was hoping to get them from till you take a trip to http://www.pjbox.co.uk

"DUE TO TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES, WE ARE UNABLE TO PROCESS ORDERS AT PRESENT"

I am going to email them and ask them about it.. they seem to sell filters and everything... anyways enough... anyone know anyone else.. I need this
wink.gif
the ER4s that is
smily_headphones1.gif

If ER4Ps are still too noisy when moving I will probably get some Koss KSC50s ... the 35s aren't available anymore are they? Headphone.com says that the 50s are the improved versions of the 35s, the newer model... but I'm sure I read somewhere for someone looking for bass-y headphones.. 35 were recommended.. yet someone said he had the 50s but they weren't so bassy as they didn't fit tight to the ear?

Again Koss headphones in the UK would be nice to know but at that price I'd happily import them.. tho I think I've just found them too.. @ http://www.mp3players.co.uk/index.ph...eName=products

Cheers

Aug 12, 2002 at 12:42 AM Post #2 of 7
Hiya Jimbobuk

I got my ETYs from a fellow head-fier, so... no help there

Good luck on the quest to find a supplier...

As to the KSC-35s, They are available from London, but are not cheap... they are £35 (about $50 compared to the $15 that the US guys pay) and... I'd strongly advise to look out for the 35s rather than the 50s, cos.. I have them, and they sound poor to my ears
frown.gif

Aug 12, 2002 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 7
jimbobuk,

Don't be silly, mate. Why not just have someone in the U.S. purchase them from Headroom and ship them to you with a "gift" designation and a low price declaration in order to avoid tax? I do this all the time for friends. I'm sure someone would be willing to do this for you. Hell, I would.

Plus it will save you money all around; think about it: $269 USD(say $277 shipped) from Headroom plus about $7 to the U.K. via Global Express (total 284 USD) is equal to about 187 GBP. That's far less than even the unshipped, un-taxed retail in the U.K.

- Sir Mister Matt

p.s. as an aside, it boggles the mind to think that Brits put up with such a draconian tax structure, just to wait in line for years for the middling health care those funds go towards, for instance.

Aug 12, 2002 at 3:21 PM Post #4 of 7
I ordered my ER-4Ss and Total AirHead from HeadRoom (by phone) in Jan/Feb this year and, er...., HM Customs showed no interest in the package. The same goes for the NOS Sony D25S I later got from Silicon Salvage via eBay.

Both were pleasant surprises, given that I'd been budgeting another 25% for VAT, import duty and brokerage, which is what my hard-to-ignore 26kg-a-piece nOrh speakers incurred the previous summer.

I can understand the original poster's reluctance to order from abroad, but there do seem to be - touch wood!- rewards in living dangerously, especially regarding things with few moving parts! Mind you, if worry about things breaking is going to spoil your fun, maybe paying an intermediary is worth it.

So, where were we ...?!

Aug 13, 2002 at 3:52 PM Post #5 of 7
Jimbobuk: I posted a similar query titled: "Etymotics in the U.K." on the 08/08/2002 on here. I too emailed pjbox.co.uk but have yet to receive a reply. Did you get one?

I would be a bit worried about asking a fellow Head-Fi contributor to get these and send them to me. There are so many things to go wrong
frown.gif
... maybe I am too much of a pessimist.

I wonder why it is so difficult to get Etymotics in the UK

Aug 13, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 7
Yeah I got a reply.. here it is

Hello James,

pjbox.co.uk is down for personal reasons and I do not know if and when it
will be up again at the moment. I understand that you would like to buy from
somewhere in the UK. However, I assure you an excellent service from our
side. All 3 Etymotic models are on stock and you would receive them within
about 3 working days after you ordered.

Best regards,
Erik Unterhuber
www.personal-jukebox.com

The thing is.. I'm probably going to go down this route... I do have a couple of friends in US and Canada so that is an option and WOULD save money... but the come back to US, compared to EU would be greater...

ANother thing... is import duty applied now to packages within the EU.. I can't remember.. anyways money money money.. tempting tho
smily_headphones1.gif

The URL for it is at the bottom of the reply above

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back