HELP!! Westone UM3x ear-tip issue...
Sep 3, 2009 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

UltraNEO*

New Head-Fier
Hi all!

I seem to have an odd issue with those UM3x's I've purchased back in July. I'm wondering is there anyone else experiencing the same problem. It seems whenever I use them, then later try to remove the IEM's from my ears the comply ear tips doesn't want to stay on the cans, instead whenever I remove the left or right IEM, the comply tips remain in my ears
angry_face.gif
Kinda annoying!!

Incase anyone is wondering, I have the UM2's and I don't suffer from this issue at all!! When comparing the UM2 and UM3x's I notice the comply are tighter on the original UM2's, and ever so slightly loser with the UM3x. ...Now as far as I can see, both pairs of cans uses the exact same ear tips.

Anyway, outta curiosity is there anyone out there with both UM2 and UM3x verify it's a fault with my pair, rather than a design flaw? I have a returns number but I just wanna check with other users first.

Akira.

Sep 3, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #2 of 26
It sound like you've got a problem with the stems on your UM3X (or possibly an issue with the tips, themselves). I have a pair of UM3Xs and my tips never get stuck in my ear.

Sep 3, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 26
Well.. I thought it's the ear tips, so I've since brought some more!! I'm using original replacement comply tips supplied directly from Westone reorder: PN 79246 (same ones I use with the UM2).. and I'm having the same issue.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 26
Guess I'm sending mine back....

What's the turn around? anyone?

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 26
i have had the same issue..in fact,it necessitated a tip to the doctor to have the tip removed...i wish the westone IEM had some sort of ridge on the stem like the shures and etymotic do...big problem for me

Sep 3, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #6 of 26
Anyone else??

Sep 3, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #7 of 26
Try wiping the inside of the eartip with a cotton swab. Then wipe all the oils off the earphone itself. If that doesn't work try a new set of tips. This happened to my shure phones recently, you just have to screw them in tightly, too. Hope this helped!

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by big_sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try wiping the inside of the eartip with a cotton swab. Then wipe all the oils off the earphone itself. If that doesn't work try a new set of tips. This happened to my shure phones recently, you just have to screw them in tightly, too. Hope this helped!

Thanks for the sound advice, unfortunately I've already tried this with some isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth, still no joy!! I just think there's something wrong with the moulding... or the stem is too narrow!!
angry_face.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraNEO* /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all!

I seem to have an odd issue with those UM3x's I've purchased back in July. I'm wondering is there anyone else experiencing the same problem. It seems whenever I use them, then later try to remove the IEM's from my ears the comply ear tips doesn't want to stay on the cans, instead whenever I remove the left or right IEM, the comply tips remain in my ears
angry_face.gif
Kinda annoying!!

Incase anyone is wondering, I have the UM2's and I don't suffer from this issue at all!! When comparing the UM2 and UM3x's I notice the comply are tighter on the original UM2's, and ever so slightly loser with the UM3x. ...Now as far as I can see, both pairs of cans uses the exact same ear tips.

Anyway, outta curiosity is there anyone out there with both UM2 and UM3x verify it's a fault with my pair, rather than a design flaw? I have a returns number but I just wanna check with other users first.

Akira.

If it is happening on both sides and you are installing the tips correctly (flush against the body of the earphone) I would send them in, let's get you a new set. That should not be happening. The mold used in manufacturing on the UM3X is the same as UM2, no changes at all.

Sep 3, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #10 of 26
I had this problem when using Shure black olives on my UM3X. Perhaps the inner sleeve on the tip had oil on it.

I think you have to be very aware when you are removing IEM's so that you are keeping a minimal amount of drag on your ear canal when taking out. If I don't do this and simply pull them out it is quite easy to get a tip stuck in your ear.

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by p0wderh0und23 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it is happening on both sides and you are installing the tips correctly (flush against the body of the earphone) I would send them in, let's get you a new set. That should not be happening.

Hi,

OK. If what your saying is true and I'm installing them incorrectly, how come it only happens with the UM3X's and not with UM2?? FYI: When installing, I twist them on, like it's a little screw (clockwise).

Quote:

The mold used in manufacturing on the UM3X is the same as UM2, no changes at all.

That might be true for the actual housing but the stem part is definitely different.

Sep 3, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Hi,

OK. If what your saying is true and I'm installing them incorrectly, how come it only happens with the UM3X's and not with UM2?? FYI: When installing, I twist them on, like it's a little screw (clockwise).

That might be true for the actual housing but the stem part is definitely different.

I never said you were installing them incorrectly. I just asked if you were putting them on all the way to the body of the housing. If that issue is happening and the tips are all the way on, I stated they needed to be sent in.

The entire earphone is the same. I can say this with confidence as I'm on the design team, and they are injection molded from the same cast here in the office about a 90 second walk from my door.

Sep 3, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Thanks for the sound advice, unfortunately I've already tried this with some isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth, still no joy!! I just think there's something wrong with the moulding... or the stem is too narrow!!
angry_face.gif

Well my last piece of advice would be to exchange them for a new pair; they are still under the warranty, correct?

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

I never said you were installing them incorrectly. I just asked if you were putting them on all the way to the body of the housing. If that issue is happening and the tips are all the way on, I stated they needed to be sent in.

The entire earphone is the same. I can say this with confidence as I'm on the design team, and they are injection molded from the same cast here in the office about a 90 second walk from my door.

Oh.. My bad, I miss read.
rolleyes.gif

I put each of the tips on, as far as they will go. They won't go flush to the body of the housing cause there's a tapered section just before... forcing the tips to go over up and over the tapered bit doesn't make the tips more secure, if anything they'll slowly move away from the body. It's like there's a slight change to the design - I know you said they're made from the same mold but what are the chances that this pair has a defect?

UM3X_va_UM2-20090904-021649.jpg

Here's a photo someone else took, with some notes I've added.

Hmm...

Well, I think it's pointless trying to explain - I'm looking at both the UM2's and UM3's here and they're different... so I'm just gonna send them back, then perhaps one of your engineers will see what I'm on about.

Sep 4, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by big_sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well my last piece of advice would be to exchange them for a new pair; they are still under the warranty, correct?

Umm... As far as I know, the UM3x's are new this year!

westoneum3x-20090904-020416.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back