Help w/ DSL speed
Oct 15, 2002 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

JMT

JMT Audio:PPA/META42 Amp Factory
I signed up for DSL service about a month ago. Lately, the speed that my computer connects is no faster than my old dial-up service. There is a speed test through my ISP that they have me run whenever I call them about the speed. Currently my down speed is around 42 (should be at least in the 300s), and the up speed is 50 (should be around 150+). The local phone company came out, did a test on their laptop, and got amazingly quick speeds (400 down and 160 up).

The funny thing is that doing a speed test on my son's computer (who is connected through a wireless router) tests out perfectly. According to the phone company (who I have to call whenever I have speed issues), everything on their end is fine and that the problem is my computer.

They suggested that I defrag my drives and run their "Speed Tweaks." Both resulted in no improvement whatsoever. The funny thing is that when I first had it installed, it was ok. 280 down and around 140 up. I have added no new software or hardware since then.

Help.........
frown.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 18
Don't know what to say, try running the speed test on

www.dslreports.com

Question: Does your son download tons of stuff all day long?

Oct 15, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #5 of 18
Do you have a copy of the latest antivirus software? It could very well be a virus of some sort, perhaps one of these nasty new worms that propagate through network connections.

Another possibility is that it's "spyware" -- software that is surreptitiously added on to other software, often for the purposes of tracking your usage patterns and reporting them to corporate HQ. Some of that stuff might significantly hurt your speed. To get rid of it, try Ad-Aware, a free download. You might be surprised at just how much of it you have.

Oct 15, 2002 at 4:23 AM Post #6 of 18
JMT are you also behind the router?
Are you connected by CAT5 or are you wireless too?
Have you tried hooking up directly with the DSL modem?
Might be something wrong with the NIC card?
(or router port, if fine hooked right up to modem.)

Oct 15, 2002 at 6:16 AM Post #7 of 18
Boot

No, I am actually directly into the modem. Then there is an ethernet cable that goes from the modem to the wireless router. When they came out, they replaced the modem, replaced the cable, tested all fine on the tech's laptop. Then he plugged my machine into it....it's like running through mud.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 7:35 AM Post #8 of 18
Hey JMT !!

a) Did you try to disconnect your son's comp? Try to be alone and test.

b) Try to down any anti-virus or firewall in your computer, if any, and test

c) Is there any update routine running on background?

Jeez JMT I can't think any more...

Best

Ari

Oct 15, 2002 at 4:25 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
Boot

No, I am actually directly into the modem. Then there is an ethernet cable that goes from the modem to the wireless router. When they came out, they replaced the modem, replaced the cable, tested all fine on the tech's laptop. Then he plugged my machine into it....it's like running through mud.
rolleyes.gif

Have you tried a different NIC card yet?
(or just moving the nic card to a different slot on the mobo.)
Is your son using a nic or a wireless adapter and if so, have you tried it with the adapter?

We get problems like this all the time with our broadband customers. (cable modems)
Usually its a problem with the hardware.
(although a mucked up windows TCPIP stack will also slow things down.)
Since we supply the network card, its easy just to try a different one.

Oct 15, 2002 at 5:48 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by JMT
No, I am actually directly into the modem. Then there is an ethernet cable that goes from the modem to the wireless router.

i don't think he's using a nic bootman. sounds like a usb connection instead, but who knows what the problem could be there. do you have any other fully functioning usb devices plugged into your computer?

Oct 18, 2002 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 18
It would help if you would post your modem type, and what type of interfaces you have between all your equipments.

If you are using USB stuff, that could be a problem.

There are some tweaks you should do that make dial up and DSL different. I got the information from DSLreports. There is a program that will set these parameters and you can have them checked from the website, that will give you suggestions.

My speeds jumped quite a bit when I made these simple adjustments/tweaks.

http://www.speedguide.net/Cable_mode...registry.shtml

http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

Check the dslreports.com/tweaks first! I would do this before doing anything with your hardware. Be sure to save old settings by writing them down.

Oct 18, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 18
If you go to dsl reports look at the top of the screen and see if you are running through a proxy server. I had somehow gotten one installed in my computer that slowed it down to a crawl it was internet boost or something like that. I had a hard time getting it out because the company never heard of me and I couldn't log into their site. I think someone using my machine downloaded this and installed. Once I got it out of my computer my speeds went up to normal.

Oct 19, 2002 at 12:23 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

If you go to dsl reports look at the top of the screen and see if you are running through a proxy server.

That was exactly the problem. I think it got installed when I took my machine into work so the techs there could install some work related crap. I am running at normal speeds now. It sure does pay to hang out with fellow geeks.
wink.gif

Oct 19, 2002 at 12:57 AM Post #15 of 18
That's about right, JMT. So many programs can turn your DSL speed into crap. So do busy ISPs and a congested World Wide Web.
Right now, my tested download speed on my DSL line is a relatively kickass 635 kbps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back