Help w/ Control Module/Soundcard
Feb 5, 2017 at 7:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Shark00n

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!

I have a set of Beyerdynamic DT 990 250ohm headphones and some Logitech Z623 speakers on my desktop computer and I'm trying to find a replacement for my broken Sound Blaster ZX's control module and possibly even the whole soundcard.

I want something physical, like the Creative's ACM, pictured below, that allows me to switch between the speakers and headphones, possibly control volume, and with a built in microphone. I'm not sure this exists so I thought I'd ask you guys.

It also should be able to power the DT 990s, and the last part about the microphone is important, I'd like an  omnidirectional headphone so I can game and also take calls and skype on it without the mess of more cables or a mic on top of the table.

I wasn't very happy with my ZX, the quality just wasn't there and the ACM's jack broke already...

I saw the Sennheiser GSX1000 and it looks great but no mic. Asus has some stuff but I'm not sure which is best, no one else makes something like this? I can get rid of the soundcard and just get a nice control module and mic, my motherboard should be able to handle my DT990s without further amplification.

Thanks!

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 7
Did you disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS, when you installed the SB-Zx?
If you plug the DT990 directly into the SB-Zx's back panel headphone jack and the Z623 directly into the SB-Zx's back panel Front speaker jack, how is the sound quality?

If you replaced the SB-Zx with something external, how much would you budget?

I'm not 100% clear on what you mean by "omnidirectional headphone"?
Do you use headphone surround sound for gaming?

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah I have OBA disabled thru the BIOS.

They sound good, to be honest the ZX never really impressed me sound quality wise. Requires a fair bit of tampering with the software. I formatted my HDD a few weeks back and forgot to save the profiles, what a pain!
I already had the speakers connected there, the headphones sound better than when connected to the ACM.

My budget is around 150€ more or less. I already had a E5 external but the battery failed (fell below min voltage, never turned on again) and I liked it a lot. The mic quality wasn't great and I'm not too impressed with the battery issues as I have it connected to my desktop all the time anyways (and it doesn't work without a battery).
I really like the ACM as I take my headphones with me everyday and plugging them to it is great. I don't fancy Creative's software, I'd like to use surround for gaming but never end up using it because then everything else sounds off (music specially) and switching profiles is a bit of a pain.

I meant a mic that works from afar and from various angles, I use the ACM's built in one while gaming and taking calls (and I walk around the room talking) and it works great!

I'm looking at a used Creative ZXR, maybe it sounds a little better and retains the ACM

Thanks for your help

Feb 6, 2017 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 7
  Yeah I have OBA disabled thru the BIOS.
They sound good, to be honest the ZX never really impressed me sound quality wise. Requires a fair bit of tampering with the software. I formatted my HDD a few weeks back and forgot to save the profiles, what a pain!
I already had the speakers connected there, the headphones sound better than when connected to the ACM.
My budget is around 150€ more or less. I already had a E5 external but the battery failed (fell below min voltage, never turned on again) and I liked it a lot. The mic quality wasn't great and I'm not too impressed with the battery issues as I have it connected to my desktop all the time anyways (and it doesn't work without a battery).
I really like the ACM as I take my headphones with me everyday and plugging them to it is great. I don't fancy Creative's software, I'd like to use surround for gaming but never end up using it because then everything else sounds off (music specially) and switching profiles is a bit of a pain.
I meant a mic that works from afar and from various angles, I use the ACM's built in one while gaming and taking calls (and I walk around the room talking) and it works great!
I'm looking at a used Creative ZXR, maybe it sounds a little better and retains the ACM

Guess if you can get a used SB-ZxR with a working ACM, you can then sell off the SB-Zx card.
The SB-ZxR does come with better DAC chips and a better headphone amplifier, then the SB-Z & SB-Zx.
Can't think of a better option, for your budget.

Feb 6, 2017 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 7

Guess if you can get a used SB-ZxR with a working ACM, you can then sell off the SB-Zx card.
The SB-ZxR does come with better DAC chips and a better headphone amplifier, then the SB-Z & SB-Zx.
Can't think of a better option, for your budget.

Thanks, I'm inclined to do that. I'll sell the ZX as a Z or something.
I have a used ZXR deal for a 130€, think it's a good deal?

Selling the ZX I can also bump up the budget a little bit if there's anything better out there

Isn't there anything like the ACM i can connect to a different sound card? I actually found a guy selling a brand new ZXR ACM, if I got that could I connect it to a different sound card, say from Asus?

Feb 6, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 7
  Thanks, I'm inclined to do that. I'll sell the Zx as a Z or something.
I have a used ZxR deal for a 130€, think it's a good deal?
Selling the Zx I can also bump up the budget a little bit if there's anything better out there
Isn't there anything like the ACM I can connect to a different sound card? I actually found a guy selling a brand new ZxR ACM, if I got that could I connect it to a different sound card, say from Asus?

I would assume(?) a Creative Labs ACM module will work with more then just Creative sound cards.
And I do prefer Asus Xonar, over Creative Labs.

But me personally, would rather use extention cables from the back panel of a sound card, over the ACM module.

The used SB-ZxR for 130 Euros seems like a good deal, then you could sell off your SB-Zx as a SB-Z. (maybe get 50+ Euros for it).

Feb 7, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #7 of 7
Got the ZXR! I like it! From the start it already sounds a bit better than the ZX, let's see how this improves with a little burn in time.
I couldn't resist and also upgraded my headphones, traded the DT990s for a pair of HD 650s, back to Sennheisers, love 'em!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back