Help w/ a headphone purchase
Jul 18, 2012 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

hvizuett

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I need some help on deciding what headphones to purchase.

Basically I am interested in a pair of headphones that I can use on my Macbook Pro, and I'm also interested if they can work on my Playstation 3.

On my Macbook Pro, I mostly watch videos.  Videos from Youtube, and from online classes.
I do sometimes listen to music.
Movies and gaming is taken into consideration here, although not a priority.

Now on my PS3, I wanted to see if I could use the same headphones to play games.
Specifically, I am interested if the headphones can work while I play a campaign offline,
and I'm also interested in knowing how to communicate with others as the headphones won't come with a mic.
I would purchase a headset for this, but then again I'm not solely interested in gaming as I have other needs.

I'm not set on a budget at this point; I first wanted to see what you guys would recommend.

I have tried to do some research before posting this, but based on what I have been reading, the recommendations are solely focused on gaming.  Again, I'm not only interested in gaming.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 13
With regards to the mic I would look into a desktop mic or another possibly cheap alternative is a zalman clip-on mic that you just attach to the cord.  For the headphones I would first look through the summer buy guide and maybe ask for some tips in the recommendations thread!

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:
I need some help on deciding what headphones to purchase.
Basically I am interested in a pair of headphones that I can use on my Macbook Pro, and I'm also interested if they can work on my Playstation 3.
On my Macbook Pro, I mostly watch videos.  Videos from Youtube, and from online classes.
I do sometimes listen to music.
Movies and gaming is taken into consideration here, although not a priority.
Now on my PS3, I wanted to see if I could use the same headphones to play games.
Specifically, I am interested if the headphones can work while I play a campaign offline,
and I'm also interested in knowing how to communicate with others as the headphones won't come with a mic.
I would purchase a headset for this, but then again I'm not solely interested in gaming as I have other needs.
I'm not set on a budget at this point; I first wanted to see what you guys would recommend.
I have tried to do some research before posting this, but based on what I have been reading, the recommendations are solely focused on gaming.  Again, I'm not only interested in gaming.
What would you guys recommend?

Audio Technica ATH-A900 (closed)
$180, used $155

something low cost
Samson SR850 (semi-open).
$60

Jul 18, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:
With regards to the mic I would look into a desktop mic or another possibly cheap alternative is a zalman clip-on mic that you just attach to the cord.  For the headphones I would first look through the summer buy guide and maybe ask for some tips in the recommendations thread!

Ant lion mic is very practical. 

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Ant lion mic is very practical. 

Looks beautiful. A little pricey but looks like it may be worth it!  I tend to not want to spend much on mics, they break on me all the time or I roll over the thin cord (especially when I am doing something that takes my attention away like gaming)

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Where's the recommendations thread?

Jul 18, 2012 at 1:15 AM Post #12 of 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back