Help! Trying to find great pair of headphones for filming
May 15, 2006 at 5:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kveld3

New Head-Fier
I was wondering if anyone could help me with picking out a pair of headphones for video recording. I am a film student and spend most of my time making short films. Well, I am looking to upgrade my headphones to monitor the audio while recording. I was wondering if anyone any an opinion or recommendation on what headphones to get? I was looking at either the Sony V6's or the Sony MDR-7505's. My price range is the sub 100 price and those fit into my budget perfectly. Anyone have any suggestions or other headphones I might want to consider? Thank you in advance for any advice.

May 15, 2006 at 5:55 AM Post #2 of 6
I think the Sony V6/7506 (they're the same headphone) is pretty much a perfect choice for portability, comfort, and sound. Other sealed headphones (HD280, K81DJ) in this range don't seem to be as comfortable or durable, and they don't fold up as nicely for when you're moving around.

May 15, 2006 at 6:05 AM Post #3 of 6
The HD280 is much *too* isolating for your purposes, you still want to be able to hear some sound from the outside world while filming (at least in my experience). People will literally have to yell at you if you get HD280s.

I actually saw a guy filming a documentary on our campus wearing what I think were HD212 Pros (or maybe the EH250s). They seemed nice and small, and rather portable, and by Headroom's account they sound good too. Well within your price range, and probably worth a look.

May 15, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 6
I've worked on maybe half a dozen independent films, and I've brought my 7506s to every single shoot.
biggrin.gif
Since I got them 2 years ago, I bring along my 280s as well. Which I use depends on context, but I tend to favor the 7506s. As pencechp noted, the 280s are significantly more isolating, but there are times when this is an advantage, particularly in outdoor shoots. You can get either for $100, or slightly less if you opt for the V6 vs. the 7506.

May 15, 2006 at 6:28 AM Post #5 of 6
The Sony's will be comfy, unless you're in a hot climate; pleather = sweaty. The K81DJ may be worth looking into given its EXCELLENT reviews around here, but I haven't tried a pair myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back