HELP!! There's no way I can solder this PCM chip on my Alien
Jan 19, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Absolutely the best SMD soldering demo I've seen.

+1 - simply the best SMD soldering demo I have seen as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hubbard0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I attempted to do my own and ended up with a blob of solder on each side of the chip. I went out and bought soldering braid with the intention of getting the chip off and trying again. What ended up happening is that braid pulled off all the bridges I had made and left me with a perfect connection on all leads. So that's an idea if you're up to it.

i had a similar experience, and chalked it up to dumb luck.
curious though, is this an acceptable method that others use and if so, is there a specific technique involved when applying the iron onto the braid?

Feb 3, 2008 at 7:32 PM Post #20 of 21
Hey all,

I thought to ride the coat-tails of this thread by asking about the same chip and board. I got about halfway through the first row of pins when I added too much solder and a blob of it got behind the chip's leads. I tried many cycles of fluxing and heating with a clean tip and it removed some but there's still some behind there creating bridges, as tested by my DMM. I also tried solder wick, though I've been a little timid with this technique since on the Curious Inventor video he cautions against overheating the chip.

Does anyone have some suggestions for getting that blob out of there? Many thanks!!

Collin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back