-HELP- The Best Collection of Headphones for $700
Mar 24, 2006 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

hockaiser

New Head-Fier
As the title suggests, I need assistance as I am currently on a quest for the best collection of headphones for $700 give or take a few dollars. The extent of what I had considered hifi listening is limited to the Sennheiser hd280's and the Shure e2c's, both of which I have outgrown and donated to others on the path to hifi.

For the last week I have been devouring the massive load of information that is contained in this forum, and reading the enlightened posting of many members having experienced euphoric sonical beauty, I decided to dig deep into my wallet and try to purchase the best possible collection of headphones without going bankrupt.

I listen to everything. Classical, Tropicalia, Rock, Electronica, Pop music, Techno, Rap, Country, Jazz, Blues, Reggae, etc...

So my current plan is to buy three headphones that will satisfy me in all areas of music. My knowledge is very limited compared to most of you here, but I did my best in narrowing down my choices to these headphones for these seem to be well liked by most all members.

AKG K701
Beyerdynamic DT880
Sennheiser HD580

I figured that since these three powerhouses in headphone production each have their own personality, they will serve me well when listening to different genres. But, if there is one headphone out there in the $700 range that can perform and meet my criteria, then I will gladly look into it.

As far as amps go, I have my eyes set on the micro amp/dac combo from headroom.

All comments, advice, flaming is welcome. I need all the help I can get because i feel that this may be the end of the ride for me.

-Mike

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 28
Hey Mike,

I think you're looking in the right direction and have definitely identified some great cans.

Personally, I might drop the K701 and DT880 - not that they aren't great cans, just that I personally find they're a little bit "middle of the road" in terms of their sonic approaches.

In other words, I'd look to HD580, Grado SR-225, SA5000 (hmm, might be a bit over your budget) to give you more variety.

But this is all just IMHO. I think the K701 and DT880 are both fantastic and if they hit sonic spots that you like, that's key.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Hey Mike,

I think you're looking in the right direction and have definitely identified some great cans.

Personally, I might drop the K701 and DT880 - not that they aren't great cans, just that I personally find they're a little bit "middle of the road" in terms of their sonic approaches.

In other words, I'd look to HD580, Grado SR-225, SA5000 (hmm, might be a bit over your budget) to give you more variety.

But this is all just IMHO. I think the K701 and DT880 are both fantastic and if they hit sonic spots that you like, that's key.

Best,

-Jason

Aren't both SA5K and SR225 bright phones? In that case, wouldn't you want one bright, one dark, and one "middle of the road"?

SR225, HD580, DT880

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #4 of 28
Mike, I am in similar situation with less budget..
what I plan is to
get HD 580 with amp for classical, jazz (150+150amp)
grado(MS1 or MS2) or A900 for rock, metal. without amp($200)

[I don't like grado, it gave my ears hard time, tried my friend's SR60]

Mar 24, 2006 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrilix
Aren't both SA5K and SR225 bright phones?

Yeah, just sometimes I feel like a detail freak (SA5k) and sometimes I just want punchy guitar-rock goodness (SR-225's). Or something like that...

Anyway, it's just an idea I'm tossing out - I imagine SR225, HD580, DT880 wouldn't be a bad stable. Though, and this is just my personal preference, either the HD580 or DT880 wouldn't get used a lot in that case...

Best,

-Jason

Mar 24, 2006 at 10:00 PM Post #7 of 28
I think you might want to consider the HD600's alongside or instead of the HD580's. Seems like the HD600 would be a much better headphone, and people tend to replace the grills and whatnot on their 580's anyways.

Mar 24, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #9 of 28
How about:

Audio-technica A900 or Beyerdynamic DT770 for closed rock/techno/etc. (maybe even DT990, if you don't feel like going closed)

That's about $160-$260, depending on whether you are getting old or new version of Beyer, and $200 for the AT.

Then a Senn HD580 + good amp (may work w/ both Senns and Beyers)
Or, Senn HD600/650 + cheaper amp

You can also try and hunt down A900 LTD. Ultimately what I'm getting at is closed + open (+amp) combo, unless you are absolutely positive you'll never need a closed can.

EDIT: is your budget just for the 'phones, or is amp included as well?
In any case, I would not get any combination of K701, HD 580/600/650, and Beyer DT880 --from what I read here, that's pretty redundant (never heard any, so take it w/ a grain of salt).

Mar 24, 2006 at 10:23 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68
This might be anti-headfi...but you might be able to do it with two.

I agree. Go with two "opposite ends of the spectrum" 'phones, like the HD-580 and SR-225, put your remaining $300 in savings and hang back & listen for a while. Figure out what you like, don't like, & what you think you're missing (maybe nothing), and later on you can attend a meet & check out a bunch of other stuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by firefox360
I think you might want to consider the HD600's alongside or instead of the HD580's. Seems like the HD600 would be a much better headphone, and people tend to replace the grills and whatnot on their 580's anyways.

Nah...they have the same drivers, just different grills and outer casing material (carbon fiber vs. plastic). Considering how cheap you can find the 580s these days, they're a great audiophile bargain.

Mar 24, 2006 at 10:31 PM Post #11 of 28
Senn 600s for around $220, Audio Technica A900s for around $200 and Beyerdynamic DT880s for $225. The A900s would be great for rock, gaming, closed can goodness, movie watching. The 600s would give you a nice open can for jazz and such and the DT880s for classical, female vocals,etc. Although you would need a decent amp to get the most out of the Senns and the Beyers.

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #12 of 28
I think the best bet for you would be to get the MS1's, forget the 225's, they wear out their welcome rather quickly, as they are very shrill. As your second set of cans I'd get either the 580/600, or the dt880. That would take you to about $300, or so. Take the money left over and get yourself a decent amp of some sort. That would give you nice well rounded complete package.

- augustwest

Mar 24, 2006 at 11:10 PM Post #13 of 28
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I have axed the k701 from the list because by the lack of mention I sense that they are more balanced than anything else.

I will check up on the sr-225. I am guessing that they are a very upgraded version of the sr60s?

I think I will definitely buy the beyerdynamic DT880s because for some reason, after reading all about it, I just have to have it. I love listening to all that classical music has to offer so that has always been at the top of my list.

As for the Sennheiser, Is the micro amp/dac going to be able to properly drive the hd600, because reading from the comparisons, I read that there indeed is a difference between the hd 580 and 600 when amped properly. Maybe this should go into the amp forum, but i felt i should try asking anways.

So currently my mind is at

Grado SR-225/Alessandro MS-1
Beyerdynamic DT-880
Sennheiser HD580/600 (I'll have to do more reading)

-Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back