Help syncing Sansa Clip in WMP - newbie
Nov 28, 2008 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

DunninLA

100+ Head-Fier
I need some help here syncing to my Sansa Clip... I did it once three weeks ago and forgot how I even did it.

I have all my mp3 on my C drive in a file called EACripsmp3

I went into Windows Media Player and opened LIBRARY, which confuses the heck out of me. I've never used Libary or playlists, or anything of the sort... I have always been a take the cd out of the jewel case, put it in the cd player, an hit PLAY.

So... how do I remove the music I synced into the Clip three weeks ago, and put all new music onto it?

Here's what I did that didn't work:

In WMP,
1. I created a Playlist called Sansa Clip 112708. It contains about 25 complete cds.
2. I then connected the clip via USB cable, and clicked on the SYNC button, then on SYNC SANSA CLIP 4gb.
3. I then opened the Playslist Sansa Clip 112708, highlighted all 25 or so albums, and dragged them into the right panel of WMP, where is says "sync list".
4. I then clicked on at the bottom of that panel where the button "Start Sync" is located.
5. My curser then started clocking for about five minutes, then stopped. The screen changed quickly a couple of times, then went back.
6. A message appeared saying "You can disconnect Sansa Clip 4gb"

which I did, and the exact same songs are in the Clip as before.

What am I doing wrong?

Nov 29, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 7
I suggest configuring WMP to auto sync your "Sansa Clip 112708" playlist. This way, WMP will always make sure that whatever is in that playlist gets synced over to the clip. Anything you remove from the playlist gets removed from the Clip at the next sync.

I do this to manage my vibez and my wife's Clip and it works very well.

Here are the steps from WMP Help:

Quote:

[size=small]Set up a device to sync in Windows Media Player[/size]

You can use Windows Media Player to sync, or copy, digital media files from your Player library to a portable device. When you connect a device for the first time, the Player selects the sync method (automatic or manual) that works best for your device, depending on its storage capacity and the size of your library. If your device's storage capacity is more than 4 gigabytes (GB) and your entire library can fit on the device, the Player automatically syncs your entire library. Then, every time you connect your device to your computer in the future, the Player updates the device to mirror your library. You can also choose what syncs automatically by selecting the playlists you want to sync.
If the storage capacity of your device is less than 4 GB or if your entire library can't fit on the device, the Player selects manual sync. With manual sync, you select the files or playlists you want to sync each time you want to make changes to the files on your device, and you manually remove files from your device.

After your device is set up the first time, you can switch between automatic and manual sync if you want.

plus.gif
To set up your device

• Start the Player, and then connect your device to your computer. If prompted, select the option to sync the device using Windows Media Player.
  • Do one of the following:
    1. If the Player has selected to sync your device automatically, click Finish. When you do so, the Player will sync your entire library to your device. After that, your device will sync every time you connect it to your computer.
    2. If the Player has selected to sync your device manually, click Finish. Then, in the Sync tab, you can select the files and playlists you want to sync manually.
  • For automatic sync, if you want to sync only a portion of your library, you can choose what syncs automatically. See the procedure on how to choose what syncs automatically in this topic.
To choose what syncs automatically

• If your device syncs automatically, you don't have to sync your entire library. Instead, you can choose from existing playlists or create new playlists of files that you want to sync. The playlists you select will then sync to your device every time you connect it to your computer.
  • Click the arrow below the Sync tab, point to the device, and then click Set Up Sync.
  • In the Available playlists list, select the existing playlists you want to sync and then click Add.
  • To create a playlist, click Create Auto Playlist and follow the steps on the screen to specify criteria for files in the auto playlist.
  • To remove a playlist, click the playlist in the Playlists to sync list, and then click Remove.
    1. In the Playlists to sync list, select your playlists one at a time and click the Priority arrows to arrange them in the order you want them to sync. If your device fills up before sync is complete, files and playlists that are lower in the list may not sync.
    2. Select the Shuffle what syncs check box if you want the Player to shuffle the files that are in the playlists you have selected to sync. With this option, every time you connect your device the files on the device are removed and a new set of files (from the playlists in the Playlists to sync list) are added to the device. This option is useful if you have a device with limited storage capacity, you like to rotate through your music, or if your library has grown too large to fit on your device.
To switch between automatic and manual sync

• Once you have set up a device for the first time, you can switch between automatic or manual sync for the device, depending on your preference.
  • Click the arrow below the Sync tab, point to the device, and then click Set Up Sync.
  • Clear or select the Sync this device automatically check box.
    1. If you are switching to use automatic sync, choose what syncs automatically. For more information, see the procedure about choosing what syncs automatically in this topic.
    2. If you are switching to use manual sync, select the files and playlists you want to sync manually.

Nov 30, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #6 of 7
Hi Ruben,

Well, it appears WMP has an automatic library update that looks at all songs in My Documents/Music. Then everything there shows up in library.

So, I took everything I didn't want to transfer to the Clip out of My Documents/Music over into the C: Drive.

Then, Library grabbed only the remaing 30 or so folders left in My Documents/Music. From Library, I just highlighted and moved it all into the sync List panel. Then I synced.

Since that worked, I didn't try your method yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back