Help! Sony XB500 Headphones make me feel dizzy...
Oct 8, 2009 at 11:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Jay_Gears

New Head-Fier
Okay, it may be because the bass is too powerful or so... When i listen to a Within Temptation song like Dark wings and wear them i feel like i'm going to faint, can anyone recommend an iPod Classic setting* so that the sound is a bit more natural and enjoyable? Thanks.

PS: I am hearing impaired so i have to turn the sound up louder than anyone else...

*(The iPod EQ settings)

Oct 8, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 15
I don't know how the iPod works, but can't you just EQ the lower frequencies? Or are there only presets you can choose from?

If that doesn't work, you should probably just get another pair of headphones. The XB500 is meant to have ridiculous bass, and it's obvious you don't like that. For around the same price, I assume, you could consider the MDR-V6, which is probably a lot more natural (never heard the XB500), and (to me) a lot more enjoyable.

Oct 8, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 15
Try lowering anything below 200hz, I think 100hz will be best to lower first. I noticed in the first few seconds of using the xb300 that without EQ it had even more vibrating bass than my already bassy ultrasones.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 15
You say you're hearing impaired--in what region and at what decibel level is your hearing loss?

Depending on the region of your loss, the EQ settings we suggest may have the opposite effect of what you're intending...

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #5 of 15
I have a 50% loss mainly on voices. I don't know exactly how many decibels, since i am in the UK right now and can't access to any of my medical files. And i don't think there is a way to make a custom EQ for the iPod, is there? I have a new Classic 160GB.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 15
Its really weird because they make me feel sleepy/faint. The sound doesn't sound natural also and the voices are drowned by the heavy bass. I allready tried the Bass Reducer EQ, the change was not significant and the voices were still drowning in the music.

Oct 8, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #10 of 15
No, i i think i want to keep the iPod firmware, but otherwise i take it these headphones are not the best for people who are mainly interested in hearing the voice of a singer over the music? (Right now i feel faint and the bass drowns the lyrics)

Oct 8, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #11 of 15
Those headphones are for people who like bass, and I'm sure Sony would just tell you to use EQ to lower it if you don't like it. Since you don't want to get rockbox for eq you could use circular cotton cosmetic pads on the inside of the outer shell to dampen the bass.

Oct 9, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #14 of 15
I noticed an improvement when i blocked the external vents, is it safe to do that or will it damage the headphones? And is there any way i can block them without it being visisble?
Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 12:04 PM Post #15 of 15
I ended up asking a friend to send me his never used EX-300 per mail until i buy them myself or find a replacement. Are they good? I never used in ear headphones before, that might sound stupid but how do you put them in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back