Help Shure e4c or etymotic
Mar 2, 2007 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

gallardo88

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so I kinda got into headphones, but i don't really have a lot of money to spend on phones, so I have a couple of 100 $ phones (though I got all except the vibes for free)

what I currenly have

Shure ec2
Vibes
Reference 220
Panasonic Hp-HTX7

I want to get rid of the ec2 and vibes because the ec2 sind muddy and not very precise and the vibes just because I like the references bette and don't want two phones in the same range.
So, my question is, i was looking inot buying either the shure e4c, e4g, e3g, e500,or an etymotic as i was looking for something in a higher price range since I can't always bring around my sony v-6.
Which one of the ones I listed is better? I listen to mostly hip-hop, rock, lots of classical, and tv.

Mar 2, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 16
What is your budget? If money is no object, get the E500 which is considered superior is somewhat overpriced. You can sift for a used pair to save a bit of money. That said, I think the Ety ER4 are really a bargain right now for what you get. They won't give your hip-hop lots of bass slam, but everything will be crisp and tight, and your classical will be glorious.

Mar 2, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #4 of 16
The Shure E4C is a noticeable step up from the E2C in accuracy and the high end seems to extend further.

I have never heard the E500's so cannot comment on them.

I find the Ety ER4P to be even more clear across the board than the E4C. It does have noticeably less bass but the base that it does have is very clear and solid. I personally like it. On the downside it is sensitive to microphonics through the cords so it is not very good when one is active.

I use the E4C's for exercise and when I am mobile. I still like the ER4P's with an 'S' adapter for the ultimate in clarity when doing really critical listening.

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep Jockey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Shure E4C is a noticeable step up from the E2C in accuracy and the high end seems to extend further.

I have never heard the E500's so cannot comment on them.

I find the Ety ER4P to be even more clear across the board than the E4C. It does have noticeably less bass but the base that it does have is very clear and solid. I personally like it. On the downside it is sensitive to microphonics through the cords so it is not very good when one is active.

I use the E4C's for exercise and when I am mobile. I still like the ER4P's with an 'S' adapter for the ultimate in clarity when doing really critical listening.

congrats in your first post mr 2003!
smily_headphones1.gif

and yeah, if you like lots of classical, go with the ER-4P. I need to get my hands on one so i can compare again, but the e4c gains a lot of clarity when boosting the region that the er-4s is boosted in (2.5k to 6k, and above 12k)

for the hip hop particularly you will need a good source/amp/equalizer.

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #7 of 16
I've owned both, and I greatly prefer the Shure E4C.

To my ears, the Ety's lack bass, and the highs are too sharp.

The Shure is less strident, and has good bass too, although it's not on the level of a UE 5pro, which I also had for a time.

The Shures stike a balance between all 3 juuuust right to me. I can listen to them for long periods without fatigue, unlike the Ety's.

My 2 cents.

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #8 of 16
So i have narrowed my choice down to the e4c and e500. money is not really a problem, but if i could avoid wasting or spending too much on something not worth it it would be appreciated.

Mar 2, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #9 of 16
I greatly prefer the ER-4S to both the E4C and E500. The midrange on the shures simply sounds muddy and veiled compared to the Etymotics. I prefer the bass on the Etymotics too. I think it's something of a myth that the Shure's have so much better bass....properly amped I find that the ER-4S has better deep extension if not as much midbass "thump". If it's between the E4C and E500, I would probably save the money and get the E4C (unless you really like the microphone feature on the E500). I could not tell a big difference between the E4C and E500 in my listening sessions; definitely not enough for me to justify the few hundred extra dollars.

Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth....

Mar 2, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #10 of 16
Jeep Jockey, you joined in 2003 and you made your first post today?!

Now THAT is called long-time lurking.

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:33 AM Post #11 of 16
With your budget and favor, I suggest UE 5 Pro which is a little over your budget but can meet your broad favorites. I have E2C, but it is not that good for classical; E4C & E500 are good, but too much over your budget. ER4S may not have sufficient bass punching for your rock and hip-hop songs. UE 5 Pro is quite balance on all these, based on my experience on E2C, E4C, ER4S and UE5Pro.

Mar 2, 2007 at 10:45 AM Post #12 of 16
I have compared ER4 and E4c,and I like both quite a lot.In my opinion:

-E4c have more bass
-E4c have a wider soundstage.That's quite noticeable.
-ER4s sound better balanced to my ears.
-ER4s are more detailed,not a lot more,but that's also quite noticeable.
-E4c are definitely darker
-ER4s have that famous clarity which verges on the magical...

You cannot go wrong with any of the two,anyway

Mar 2, 2007 at 11:50 PM Post #14 of 16
I don't find my ER-4P to have any problem playing hip-hop. And I also agree with the others that "lots of classical = ER-4S". For classical, ER-4S is a must. You should get the ER-4P and the P->S adaptor (for more flexibility).

Mar 3, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #15 of 16
I was in the same position as you and ended up with er-4ps, which I like a lot, more than the E4cs that I had for two weeks. On a different note I just picked up some 220s during that staples deal and I find myself taking those out and about more regularly then my far better sounding ETYs. This is due to their ease of insertion, comfort and lack of microphonics. I now kind of wish I had bought some full size cans instead of the ETYs, because I mainly use them at home where portability is not a factor. If you don't have any full size phones yet, then I would stick with the 220s and get some, I wish I had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back