Help, Sennheiser HD 449 Have Virtually No Clamp [SOLVED]
Oct 19, 2016 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

terrainer70

New Head-Fier
My headphones have pretty much no clamp, to the extent where it is affecting the sound and noise isolation of the headphones. I attached an image so that you can see how far apart the earcups are. I don't know how this happened, but I'm fairly certain that they shouldn't be like this. In fact, you can see how close together they are in this youtube review.

Apologies for them being so grotty, they need cleaning haha.

Oct 20, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #2 of 11
You could try holding the cups together and take a hair dryer to the headband, then let it cool down in the 'clamped' position... (?)
I have no idea if that would actually work... also you might have to take care not to overheat the headband sponge.

Oct 20, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #3 of 11
Honestly I'm just thinking of saving up and buying new headphones, don't really want to be doing that because in the case I do break something, I won't have the money to replace it immediately.

Oct 20, 2016 at 9:10 AM Post #6 of 11
  Honestly I'm just thinking of saving up and buying new headphones, don't really want to be doing that because in the case I do break something, I won't have the money to replace it immediately.

If you do get something with a metal headband since that's easier to bend and adjust. Just note that in some cases instead of a leather or leatherette cover it might have plastic parts covering it. It's still possible bend it but you have to expose the metal and bend that, not the plastic.

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 11
I went "full diablo", it actually worked! They're still not as tight as I would like. Welp, nevermind. They stretched back fairly quickly. I was wondering if there were perhaps any thicker/plumper ear cushions that would fit these?

Nov 1, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 11
Never owned them, so I can't say for sure what would fit, but you could start by stuffing foam/tissues/rolled-cotton/socks behind the pads.

It's good to experiment with different materials anyway since they will ALL change the way the headphone sounds.
Extra distance from the ear usually increases treble.
Foam usually increases bass.

You might have something even better lying around that I didn't think of.

But usually these are only half measures to actually finding a good replacement ear pad. 

Nov 1, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #10 of 11
Had the same issue with my HD429, though not to that extent but they always felt a bit loose & came off when I was head banging sometimes, (the HD4XX series all have the same drivers but different damping, even the new HD497 I believe.)
This modding guide by wje helped me alot, http://www.head-fi.org/t/646251/sennheiser-hd-428-hd-428s-modding-guide-january-2013, just read the part about attaching a thick steel rod to the headband.
Though I covered my headphone with the rod in a different way... I covered it with a leather band, that was the width of the headband. I cut the leather from an old bag, then cut it to the headband's width and length & sewed on some velcro onto the band so that it doesn't come off, & also so that I could adjust the tightness or remove the rod more easily all together if I wanted.
Tightenening the headband abit tighter with the steel rod has obvious advantages, such as you gain more bass because the cups are pressed more tightly to the ears, but you will lose abit of soundstage obviously, because there is less flow of air into the cup, though they are closed and don't have much soundstage to begin with, but are far better than Grados.

You may also try the full mod by removing one hole & adding plastacine to the back of the driver housing. I found this increases & controls the bass very well, thereby increasing sound quality, as one hears bass notes more easily. Also adding the plastacine tightens & increases the quality of the bass, from the added bass frm removing the sticker, where it.was smeared & indistinct most of the time. Don't worry the mod is reversible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back