HELP: Sennheiser HD 201 or Philips Citiscape Downtown or anything else?
May 27, 2015 at 12:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nowan

New Head-Fier
Hi to everyone!

This would be my first pair of "large" headphones, after years and years of in-ear phones.

I would like something ok, but not expensive at all. Something simple yet "flexible", that I can use to listen some music with my mp3 player/phone and to watch a film on my pc as well.

After researching I was almost sure to get the Sennheiser HD 201.

Now I could buy the Philips Citiscape Downtown (usually more expensive), for about the same price, from a friend of mine.

I would go with the Philips, because they are usually more expensive than the Sennheiser, and the specifications are better, but reading a few user reviews, many people say they get really uncomfortable after a while, so they do not are suitable in their opinions, for example, to watch a film, or in a long commute.

What do you think is the best choice, given this price range? Is there any other headphones that are worth to consider?

Thanks!

May 27, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #2 of 7
I don't have access to the HD 201, but I pulled out the Philips Citiscape Downtown and have been giving it a listen, as its been quite some time since I've given them a run. Here's a few quick impressions:

To my ears, the bass is definitely elevated, and while I think it sounds good with "Royals" by Lorde one of my bass test tracks), it may be just a bit north of my bass preferences. With another one of my test tracks ("Tip of my Tongue" by the Civil Wars), I find the guitar to be a bit muffled and lacking some higher end detail. Joy Williams' vocals sound great, and John Paul White sounds good as her counterpart, but he seems slightly set back compared to her vocals with the Downtowns. It works for the track, though, in my opinion. 

I do find the built-in volume slider to be touchy, and offered a bit of static when moved. If you pick up the Downtowns, definitely leave the slider at max and adjust volume on your source.

May 27, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks a lot joe. In this price range I really cannot look for sound perfection, can I?

I am looking for something "not bad for the price". A cheap price.

Any other headphones worth considering?

Any physical store in London where I can try headphones before I buy them?

May 27, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #4 of 7
Just from reputation I would say The Takstar Pro 80 or it's clone the Gemini DJ HSR-1000. These are relatively cheap headphones that are said to have great sound quality for their price. These cost quite a bit more than the HD 201, but I'm not such a fan of sub-$75 Sennheiser headphones.
I don't know much about the Philips myself so I can't help you with those.

May 27, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #5 of 7
@joe and everyone that has/tryed the Philips Citiscape Downtown, are they comfortable or not, to wear? let's say for a couple of hours, watching a film...

@Beyakusenn, thanks, I will look for them, even though they are like three times the price of Sennheiser HD 201, looking on some website. I will look for a deal, if I am able to find one.

May 29, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #7 of 7
Don't know about the senns, but I had no comfort issues with the Downtowns - my avenue of entry into the world of 21st Century headphones - got them at clearance price of about 40$ US from Sonic Electronix after seeing them on InnerFidelity's Wall Of Fame (Ear-Pad Sealed) - http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-ear-pad-sealed . Look way down at the bottom of the page for them - I have to say Tyll Hertsens does all us headphone enthusiasts a great favour with his hard work and good ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back