Help requested: Portaphile V2 vs. Porta corda mkIII
post-1409497
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 8

gratefulshrink

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 12, 2005
Messages
1,687
Reaction score
15
Joined
May 12, 2005
Posts
1,687
Likes
15
Hi people. I'm thinking about upgrading amps. I want to step into the $200 range (I can't yet "commit" mentally to the ~$400 for the SR-71).

Use would be for 3g ipod with pocket dock, and maybe also with the jack on G4 powerbook.

Current cans: SR-60, AKG 240s and K501, Beyer DT250-250, Senn HD 280.

My "requirements" (other than cost): smaller is better, one battery better than 2, can take 9V rechargeable.

I'm not sure if USB port is worth it or not (comments appreaciated).

I had narrowed it down to the Portaphile v2, but then saw that Headroom is releasing the Micro Amp ($300). Now today I am reading posts about the Porta Corda mkIII. Any thoughts on these three, or perhaps a suggestion on a a different ~$200 portable amp that satisifes my audio needs (which probably will never be fully satisfied....) would be greatly appreciated.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1410583
Post #2 of 8

atx

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Messages
915
Reaction score
13
Joined
Feb 13, 2005
Posts
915
Likes
13
Quote:

I had narrowed it down to the Portaphile v2, but then saw that Headroom is releasing the Micro Amp ($300). Now today I am reading posts about the Porta Corda mkIII. Any thoughts on these three, or perhaps a suggestion on a a different ~$200 portable amp that satisifes my audio needs (which probably will never be fully satisfied....) would be greatly appreciated.


I don't think any of those amps sound any worse than the others. They just sound different, so it's a matter of preference and practicality. Once you get into the $300 range, you can add the supermacro to your list-- the advantage being you can then muck around with different opamps and add your own contribution to the holy-crap-the-supermacro-is-awesome thread.


As for the portaphile, if you sign up for an M3 demo at rockhopper audio, you can preview what you'll be getting without putting down money.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1410664
Post #3 of 8

gratefulshrink

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 12, 2005
Messages
1,687
Reaction score
15
Joined
May 12, 2005
Posts
1,687
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by atx
I don't think any of those amps sound any worse than the others. They just sound different, so it's a matter of preference and practicality. Once you get into the $300 range, you can add the supermacro to your list-- the advantage being you can then muck around with different opamps and add your own contribution to the holy-crap-the-supermacro-is-awesome thread.


As for the portaphile, if you sign up for an M3 demo at rockhopper audio, you can preview what you'll be getting without putting down money.



Thanks for the info. It looks like the portaphile is off the list for a while (they have a parts shortage, and don't expect to ship until August).
 
     Share This Post       
post-1410960
Post #4 of 8

Romanee

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 20, 2004
Messages
3,278
Reaction score
12
Joined
May 20, 2004
Posts
3,278
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Hi people. I'm thinking about upgrading amps. I want to step into the $200 range (I can't yet "commit" mentally to the ~$400 for the SR-71).

Use would be for 3g ipod with pocket dock, and maybe also with the jack on G4 powerbook.

Current cans: SR-60, AKG 240s and K501, Beyer DT250-250, Senn HD 280.

My "requirements" (other than cost): smaller is better, one battery better than 2, can take 9V rechargeable.

I'm not sure if USB port is worth it or not (comments appreaciated).

I had narrowed it down to the Portaphile v2, but then saw that Headroom is releasing the Micro Amp ($300). Now today I am reading posts about the Porta Corda mkIII. Any thoughts on these three, or perhaps a suggestion on a a different ~$200 portable amp that satisifes my audio needs (which probably will never be fully satisfied....) would be greatly appreciated.



I haven't yet heard the new Micro Amp (I will give it serious attention at the June 18 NYC meet). I did not care for the Coda amp, though the Overture DAC was great with every amp I applied it to. I own and do not especially like the PortaCorda Mk II; aside from its new features, I am curious to know if the PCMkIII sounds better. I very much like the Portaphile V2 with My K501s, with Beyer DT250s, Senn HD650s, SA5000, Beyer DT-770.

Portaphile will probably have expanded features in the not-too-distant future, but it sounds great now, and it's a great value. I have a 4G 40GB iPod and the P-V2 is very lively and involving with the iPod and my K501s, which as you know are very challenging.

The SR-71 is a wonderful amp, but I can appreciate your budgetary considerations. I can't yet afford one myself.

It is very unfortunate about the BUF634 shortage. Perhaps you can find a previously owned P-V2.

I will certainly post mini-reviews of the Headroom Micro-units -- and every other important small amp and DAC present at the June 18 NYC meet (as will other attendees).
 
     Share This Post       
post-1410992
Post #5 of 8

S_Dedalus

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 24, 2004
Messages
1,271
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jan 24, 2004
Posts
1,271
Likes
0
Just a comment on your issues with 2 batteries. Very few opamps can run well on only 9V, so the slight inconvenience of 2 batteries can bring a big improvement in sound. I haven't listened to any of the amps you mentioned, but a used XP-7 seems to fall in the $300-350 range, and that is a great amp.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1411019
Post #6 of 8

Romanee

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 20, 2004
Messages
3,278
Reaction score
12
Joined
May 20, 2004
Posts
3,278
Likes
12
Quote:

Originally Posted by S_Dedalus
Just a comment on your issues with 2 batteries. Very few opamps can run well on only 9V, so the slight inconvenience of 2 batteries can bring a big improvement in sound. I haven't listened to any of the amps you mentioned, but a used XP-7 seems to fall in the $300-350 range, and that is a great amp.



A used SR-71 should also fall into that range, and that is a great amp as well.

But the target stated is the $200 range, not $300-350.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1411029
Post #7 of 8

S_Dedalus

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 24, 2004
Messages
1,271
Reaction score
0
Joined
Jan 24, 2004
Posts
1,271
Likes
0
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
A used SR-71 should also fall into that range, and that is a great amp as well.

But the target stated is the $200 range, not $300-350.



Well a porta corda mkIII USB and a headroom micro amp are both around $300, and he/she expressed interest in both.
 
     Share This Post       
post-1411887
Post #8 of 8

gratefulshrink

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
May 12, 2005
Messages
1,687
Reaction score
15
Joined
May 12, 2005
Posts
1,687
Likes
15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
I haven't yet heard the new Micro Amp (I will give it serious attention at the June 18 NYC meet). I did not care for the Coda amp, though the Overture DAC was great with every amp I applied it to. I own and do not especially like the PortaCorda Mk II; aside from its new features, I am curious to know if the PCMkIII sounds better. I very much like the Portaphile V2 with My K501s, with Beyer DT250s, Senn HD650s, SA5000, Beyer DT-770.



What do you find lacking in the mkII?
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top