Help: Replacing & Soldering new jack HifiMan RE-ZERO IE
Oct 29, 2013 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

simplesimon

New Head-Fier
Hello everybody,

Recently, my IE RE-ZERO's from Hifiman started giving out in one ear and after testing where the issue may originate by slowly pinching along the length of the wire while listening to music, I think I found out that the problem is the jack. However, as many of you may know, the RE-Zeros use a non-traditional 3.5mm balanced headphone plug (TRRS), and a replacement balanced plug is a little difficult (although not impossible obviously) to come across, but I am wondering if there is anything preventing me from soldering on a standard 1/8" stereo plug instead of trying to replicate the original plug; I've just been using the standard 3.5mm headphone jack adapter that came with the headphones anyway since I do not have a balanced amp. I don't know much about soldering, but I have been watching a few tutorials and I think I can do it, so if any of you dudes have any recommendations regarding necessary soldering precautions, or any recommendations regarding the project in general, that would also be much appreciated. I really like these headphones and they have served me well, but it's too bad that apparently the jacks aren't incredibly durable. 

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back