HELP- RE-400 Large Tips?
Jan 7, 2015 at 12:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

suburbanite

100+ Head-Fier
Just got my RE-400s recently and can't get a good seal with the largest-size double-flange silicone tips that came with them.

I tried some Sony eartips I had from some other earphones, and they're working for now. They're the largest ones you see in the image below, with the turquoise (interior) flanges.

The Sonys work OK, but I was barely able to squeeze the flanges over the nozzles of the RE-400's, leaving me to wonder how long it'll be before those flanges tear from being overly stretched.

Suggestions for large silicone eartips needed. Doesn't really matter how may (exterior) flanges they have, as long as their diameter is large enough to fill my ear canals and give me a good seal.

Jan 7, 2015 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 6
Have you tried wearing them over-the-ear? The strain reliefs might be the culprit as for some folks it prevents them from inserting them further. Kinda weird that the huge bi-flanges can't fit your ear canals but hf5 tri-flanges (I think they're smaller, from memory) just works fine.

Jan 7, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 6
I really don't want to wear them over the ear.

A big reason I got them was because I want the convenience of wearing them cable-down (like a normal person).

I'm not using the hf5 eartips at all, I'm using the Sony single-flanged eartips.

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 6
Cable down is really sucky for the RE-400, mostly due to microphonics and, as stated above, the fit issue.

Over-the-ear is a must. It's more of a "you have to" thing, unfortunately.

Also, I meant you are able to get, I assume, a good fit with the hf5 with its tri-flanges (which I think is still smaller than the big HiFiMAN bi-flanges).

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #5 of 6
I've actually been using the foam cylinder ear tips with the hf5's which work well, but like many, I hate having to always compress the foam before inserting.

That's why when I use my re-400s, I want to use silicone tips and to wear them cable-down- so I can just jam them in my ears quickly and easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back