Help Purchasing E-MU TEAK Headphones
Mar 4, 2017 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

DropEyes

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I have been lurking on and off for a while but finally joined the club.  I have begun my quest for a replacement set of cans after my Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros kicked the bucket.  The E-MU TEAKs caught my attention and I have no idea how people are obtaining these headphones.  Anyone have experience purchasing these headphones not from Massdrop?  Does anyone know a guy?  I keep seeing threads mention a man named Chan that works for E-MU who has helped people obtain the wood cup replacements and the headsets themselves.

May 24, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi all, I have been lurking on and off for a while but finally joined the club. I have begun my quest for a replacement set of cans after my Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pros kicked the bucket. The E-MU TEAKs caught my attention and I have no idea how people are obtaining these headphones. Anyone have experience purchasing these headphones not from Massdrop? Does anyone know a guy? I keep seeing threads mention a man named Chan that works for E-MU who has helped people obtain the wood cup replacements and the headsets themselves.

I have to laugh after reading this question. Not at you...with you.

I've wanted a pair of these for some time, but had just ordered a big-time headphone (ZMF Ori) literally days before the most recent Massdrop drop for E MU Teaks. Money was tight, so I let that opportunity go by. I requested another drop for these headphones on Massdrop, but in reality, there may never be another drop (who knows?). I got tired of waiting, so contacted the parent company of E MU Teak directly. They referred me to E MU directly, which lead me to: http://www.emu.com/index.php.

• It's odd--the headphones aren't among the listed "Products." You have to click on the "Home" link (top of screen) to even see them, but there's no real info there.
  • There's also on way to purchase the headphones--no "Cart" or anything like it.
  • I'd seen somewhere that the "List price" for these is $999 Singapore dollar, approx $700 USD. That's too high for me.

The only email I could find for Chan is enquiry@emu.com. I emailed him early last week, asking if he could sell me a pair of E MU Teaks for a good price (ie, "how much?"). Also asked about shipping cost and whether they could supply a balanced vs SE cable. After a few days he replied, telling me cost of shipping, and yes, they can supply a balanced cable. But no answer as to cost. Last Thurs I replied, again asking for price. Still no answer. I'll send him one final email tomorrow...

The backstory here is (per various comments here and in the Massdrop "Discussion" for the E MU Teak drop), is that some people have been able to purchase these headphones directly from Chan during times when no Massdrop drop is happening. I've seen several people comment that they were able to buy them direct for approximately the same price ($500) as the most recent drop.

So I'm trying. I'd much rather buy them direct because it would be a protected transaction, plus I'd have warranty recourse in case they arrived damaged in any way.

PS: There are a few used pairs F.S. here. But of course, you have to be careful buying used anything, plus there's obviously no warranty or real recourse.

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #3 of 5
I know this is an old post, but ....
Me too! I tried to buy the E-MU Teak from the Emu website. But their online store only sells to Singapore addresses.
I contacted Chan and he responded promptly and requested my address and phone number so he could send me a quote. I did so immediately but never heard back from him. I sent him a reminder but still no luck.
I’m hoping a Massdrop is impending and that’s why there’s no interest in selling to individuals.
If not, I plan to hire a Singapore Fiverr - seriously!

Jan 30, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 5
My advice is keep trying. Chan is a very busy fellow. It could easily take him 5-7 days to reply to email.

I bought my Teaks direct from him in the manner you describe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back