Help: portable headphones with good sound
Jun 6, 2018 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

JediMa70

500+ Head-Fier
I own few good headphones for home listening (Hifiman he560, Senn HD600, AKG K712 pro and Meze 99 classics)
I would like to buy not to expensive BUT with a good sound, not too big, foldable headphones, wired.
I tried Senn Momentum 2.0 on ear but they are boomy and the sound quality is just meh
Any good advice?

Budget 100 usd - flexible

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #2 of 26
I'm currently using my brother's ath m50x and I'm blown away by its sound quality. I've only used budget(I'm talking $10-50) earphones in the past. When I first used these headphones, the first thing I noticed was the harsh treble accompanied with a lack of bass. I took it off immediately. After a while I decided to give it a try again and I kept an open mind. Damn. Somehow, the harsh treble toned down, and I've started to appreciate the almost non-existent bass in return for clear and forward vocals. The instruments sounded awesome as well. Idk if it's portable enough as it is quite heavy, but, if you don't mind, I'd definitely recommend the ath-m50x. My listening experience has been amplified greatly by this pair of headphones.

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #4 of 26
SoundMagic P55 might suit your needs. Non foldable though but have a small form factor. Very articulate and very well made with top notch materials.
Here in italy is sold at 250 euros ... really off budget

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:47 PM Post #5 of 26
I'm currently using my brother's ath m50x and I'm blown away by its sound quality. I've only used budget(I'm talking $10-50) earphones in the past. When I first used these headphones, the first thing I noticed was the harsh treble accompanied with a lack of bass. I took it off immediately. After a while I decided to give it a try again and I kept an open mind. Damn. Somehow, the harsh treble toned down, and I've started to appreciate the almost non-existent bass in return for clear and forward vocals. The instruments sounded awesome as well. Idk if it's portable enough as it is quite heavy, but, if you don't mind, I'd definitely recommend the ath-m50x. My listening experience has been amplified greatly by this pair of headphones.
They can be an option for sure but I would prefer something smaller

Jun 6, 2018 at 1:56 PM Post #6 of 26
And what do you think about ATH M40x?

Jun 6, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 26
Ath M40x , swap the pads out - Non consumer tuned sound
Cleer DU dual driver for a fun V shape sound - A little larger but hardly noticeable on head
Used / Classifieds will open up a lot more options.

Jun 6, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #9 of 26
Well
Ath M40x , swap the pads out - Non consumer tuned sound
Cleer DU dual driver for a fun V shape sound - A little larger but hardly noticeable on head
Used / Classifieds will open up a lot more options.
Well better if they are new and the main source here is amazon.it which means to cut few options (cleer DU not there...)
I add that they should be "funny" and good for rock , hard rock and metal mainly

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 9:38 PM Post #11 of 26
The AT m series pretty much suck. I would consider in ear monitors over closed back over ears at this price point.
Like what? My knoledge about IEMs is close to 0

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #12 of 26
B&H currently has the HIfiman Edition S for under $100.

Jun 6, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #13 of 26
I purchased the hifiman edition s from B&H. Amazing cans imo. Great sound, one of my favorites at this point.
Yes, most of the AT M series aren't that great, but the 40 is the exception. Needs pads though.

Jun 7, 2018 at 3:52 AM Post #14 of 26
I own few good headphones for home listening (Hifiman he560, Senn HD600, AKG K712 pro and Meze 99 classics)
I would like to buy not to expensive BUT with a good sound, not too big, foldable headphones, wired.
I tried Senn Momentum 2.0 on ear but they are boomy and the sound quality is just meh
Any good advice?

Budget 100 usd - flexible

100 is not much for a good portable...
I had the Sennheiser M2 over ear and they were pretty good, but bass is also a little on the heavy side, not really boomy but a bit soft, and upper mids and treble felt affected.
But very portable, great comfort and isolation. Price was 145 Euros refurbished from Sennheiser.
(I gave them to my son and he loves them)

I also have the B&O H6 Gen 2, which are the opposite of the Sennheiser.
Rather lighter bass, but drier, clear mids and highs, a bit more recessed mids, piano sounding clear and sharp as it should.
Not foldable, not as comfortable and insulation also not as good as the M2OE, price similar.
Stopped using them after getting Audioquest Nightowl, but those are not really portable.

Jun 7, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #15 of 26
100 is not much for a good portable...
I had the Sennheiser M2 over ear and they were pretty good, but bass is also a little on the heavy side, not really boomy but a bit soft, and upper mids and treble felt affected.
But very portable, great comfort and isolation. Price was 145 Euros refurbished from Sennheiser.
(I gave them to my son and he loves them)

I also have the B&O H6 Gen 2, which are the opposite of the Sennheiser.
Rather lighter bass, but drier, clear mids and highs, a bit more recessed mids, piano sounding clear and sharp as it should.
Not foldable, not as comfortable and insulation also not as good as the M2OE, price similar.
Stopped using them after getting Audioquest Nightowl, but those are not really portable.
I liked Fidelio L2 that a friend gave me for few days but it's so hard to find them and their price floats so much from 100 to 250 euros but they are a good example of what i'm searching , but so many reviews make so much confusion (AKG Y50, Marshall, Sennheiser.Momentum. and so on) .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back