Help please with AMP/DAC
Nov 30, 2020 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Strif3

New Head-Fier
Hello friends, for the past 3-4 months i have been looking for a DAC with Headphone amp for my desktop/office setup, i want to upgrade from my old Technics integrated amp to something more modern and better. Everything is fine till the matter at hand where i had to buy the damn product , because i don't know what to buy, my main use case is 60% Headphones and 40% Speakers and because of this i would prefer as a single unit another Integrated Amplifier that can do both drive my speakers and give me a good and quality headphone output, but this proved to be far more difficult than i anticipated, because the majority of datasheets on amps don't say what the impedance and power of the headphone output is. On the other end of the spectrum regarding dedicated Headphone amps with DAC, i really don't know what to buy , because there are many different products and the majority of them have (in my opinion) many minuses and extremely high prices.

I am open to any good option or combination that can fulfil my needs, i don't need something of studio grade neither because i dislike paper flat sound with no musicality and no body, don't need for critical or analytical listening. I would like to have analogical tonal controls.

My headphones are easy to drive, I plan to buy another pair but i will never need something to drive more that a 250 ohm impedance. For speakers 60 wats is enough.

Some products that caught my eye but i don't know if they are really that good and meet my demands:
- Cambridge Audio CXA61 (it has integrated DAC with usb support)
- Fiio K5 PRO
- Marantz PMA6007
- Topping DX3 PRO v2 (though i don't really trust this shady brand)
- Yamaha S801 (it has integrated DAC with usb support)
- IfI Audio Zen DAC

The budget is 1000 Euros.

Thank you in advance! :)

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 8
Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #4 of 8
Dec 3, 2020 at 6:12 AM Post #6 of 8
Steve Guttenberg been ages in the industry. It is a new product. But if he recommends it well then its good.

Dec 27, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #8 of 8
I'm convinced the RME ADI-2 DAC FS is the best 1000 dollars/euros anybody can ever spend on audio gear. It won't drive speakers so you will need a speaker amp or powered speakers. The RME will sound so good and make you so happy, you won't mind that you had to buy a separate amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back