help please! TubeDac+(?) --> MPX3 --> Senn 580
Mar 14, 2006 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

giovanni

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
here is the situation. I am using my Mac as a source (apple lossless), then a MPX3 (with various upgrades) and then my 580.

My understanding is that I really need a DAC as first improvement, preferably a USB one (otherwise I would need another airport express....).

Now, there is no way I can spend a lot on this right now, and that is why I was wondering about Scott Nixon's tubedac, now avail. with USB and which seems to have in general good reviews/reputation.

Anyhow, my main concern is whether my set-up, with the addition of the tubedac will get just too soft (what I like to refer to as "lifeless sound"). I was hoping someone here might have more experience with this stuff and might have an opinion.

On the other hand I would assume Scott Nixon offers a good return policy so may be the best thing to do is get one and find out !!! I will check on this.

best,
gio

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #2 of 5
Why not consider MicroDAC? When I had it was the best bang for the money and it worked flawlessly with my Mac based setup like yours.

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #3 of 5
Several positive reviews on the Fubar unit from Firestone audio are readable here on the boards. This unit is a USB DAC. It should be in your price range. For less is the Silverstone USB DAC.

I do recommend searching for USB DAC on the source and computer threads here. Be sure to have a few hours to spend though. You should be able to find out everything you know.

Not using USB DAC atm, although, I have a total bithead on order for traveling with.

Mar 15, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 5
i have tried the older, non-USB version of the TubeDAC, and i found it to be too warm and syrupy with my PPX3 Slam. you may have the same problem with your MPX3. i think the TubeDAC would shine with leaner, SS amps.

Mar 15, 2006 at 6:03 AM Post #5 of 5
I've never really been able to quite figure out the sound on the mpx3. While my first months with it were easy to characterize, having cleaner power and more suitable tubes have made the signature of this amp less apparent. It can be cold or warm, lean or lush, murky or expansive. It seems more dependent on source material than the amp itself. If the dac is transparent, I would guess that you'd hear that on the mpx3 (as long as your tubes make you happy).

Edit: I don't think the Sennheiser HD-580s suit transparency on my old mpx3. I always felt that I needed more treble with these phones - regardless of amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back