HELP! Please... Advice needed.
May 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Paul Graham

Member of the Trade: Mayflower Cables
Evening folks, 

I need some assistance.

As for Desktop/Home Head-Fi I have things pretty much worked out.
I have a few DAC's and head amps on the way to try out with various Sennheiser's until i upgrade my cans.

But as for portable I'm just totally stuck.

The portable side is still pretty new to me and my budget for this year is quickly depleting as i still have a ton of things to 
sort out on my car.

Anyway, My source will be the following - 

iPhone 4s & possibly a Sony XDR M1 portable DAB tuner.

Cans will be Sennheiser HD25 1 ii Adidas originals & later on a nice pair of Beyerdynamic in the ears.

What Im stuck on is Amp & DAC.

DAC/Amp in one?
Standalone DAC and Amp?
Tube Amp?
Standalone DAC & Tube Amp?
DAC/Tube Amp in one?

Or is there anything else Im missing?

All Ive tried was a Chu-My in a mint tin amp and wasn't too impressed to be honest, I found it too bright and 
lacking in lower down bass.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated right about now.

ps. Im lookind at LOD's And other cables right now.
pps. music taste varies greatly, anything from dub step thru to classical.

May 5, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 27
Well, I suggest just an amp. As you're on a tight budget I guess you won't be spending 500+ bucks on a DAC for the iphone. Have you considered a fiio amp - the E11 sounds awesome for the money and it's bass boost is mainly on the sub-bass as you mentioned that yo weren't impressed with the cmoy bass extension. With that said the e11 isn't particularly dark but more on the neutral side while adding a little bit of warmth, so it's good with any genre as long as your headphones are good with that genre. A Fiio L9 LOD will do the job perfectly - you don't need silver, cryo or other magical cables. Of course, you can always get a Fostex hp-p1 if you feel your budget isn't that tight or you just really want a DAC

May 6, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 27
Thanks for the input chaps!

To be honest the last few days have been giving me brain ache lol
The Desktop system i was getting I've now cancelled as the products just weren't described 
in a way that gave me any confidence. 

So as for desktop, Ive decided to put a bit more money into the DAC, Run it through a good quality older amplifier ( for now )
And some bookshelf's like the Kef Cresta's or maybe my Roth Oli2's.

Anyway...

I was actually thinking of the Fiio E10 or E11.
I'll try the 25's un-amped first to see what i think and go from there...

May 6, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #7 of 27
Just a heads up if you haven't seen it already - the E10 is more of a transportable DAC/amp to use with a laptop or something as it only has mini USB-in, so you can't use it with an iphone. Actually, the e10 is a very good and powerful DAC/amp to use for a desktop rig if you can't afford something really good or until you decide to buy somethg more high-end. As far as the portable rig - I think E11 is cheap enough to get even for easier to drive headphones just for the better soundstage and the added bass control and depth - and of course the fact that you'll be able tо take advantage of the better line-out signal of the iphone instead of using the headphone-out. 

May 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 27
iphone+ tunein radio +hd25.....chillout !

gs1000.gif

May 7, 2012 at 6:16 AM Post #11 of 27
I know you are dead set on a portable amp for whatever reason, also check out this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

Most portables dont really need an amp. Find the right headphones, buds or IEMs to suit your taste in sound. imho.

try those apps I suggested also.

*Why do you want an amp, or feel you need one are the questions.

-More power?
-Think you`ll get more clarity?
-More bass?
-Have a `cool looking rig thingy?
-A different sound signature?

All good questions.

May 7, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #12 of 27
Well, the e11 is a better amp than the e7. You can't use E7 as a DAC with the iphone - only as an amp. The same goes for E17 - you can only use it as an amp and if you're thinking of using it only with the iphone then you should better get E11. The thing is that there aren't many DACs available on the market that work with the iphone and they are expensive, so if you want a DAC fo your iphone you should prepare around $600 for something like the CLAS or Fostex hp-p1. If not, you should get only an amp and thus e11 is a better choice as you only need a good amp and there is no need to pay for a DAC/amp like e17 if you're not going to use it as a DAC with your desktop rig, for instance.

May 7, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #13 of 27
ah I see now. Thanks for clearing that up.

If thats the case, What else is there in that price range?
Ild say my budget is £65. I know its not a lot but my money is pretty much tied up elsewhere now.

May 7, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:
I know you are dead set on a portable amp for whatever reason, also check out this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12

Most portables dont really need an amp. Find the right headphones, buds or IEMs to suit your taste in sound. imho.

try those apps I suggested also.

*Why do you want an amp, or feel you need one are the questions.

-More power?
-Think you`ll get more clarity?
-More bass?
-Have a `cool looking rig thingy?
-A different sound signature?

All good questions.

All very good questions!

Well looks/having a cool rig thingy for one, AREN'T the reason behind this lol.
more power yes. ( Not def inducing though )
I can't really get on with IEM's / Buds for long periods of time, Hense the HD25's.
More bass? In a way yes.
I don't want all out skull crushing bass,
More on the lines of a Warmer Detailed bass, One with more presence and the ability to be punchy or low down if needed. Does that make sense?
So Yes Im guessing a different sound signature.
I don't like over EQ'ing but I do like the ability to 'tweak' what Im hearing just a little.

I always find explaining sound from my perspective a tad difficult lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back