HELP plan my NYC trip!
Oct 21, 2009 at 10:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Konig

1000+ Head-Fier
Im arriving nyc with my friends on 23rd oct 6pm, staying at the time hotel at times square. My friend suggest we visit the modern art museum since friday is free (yet to confirm). What should we do after MOMA close at 8pm? I was thinking about empire state building around 11.30pm so what should we do btw 9pm-11pm?

On sat, We plan to go central park, 5th ave, metropolitan art musem, natural history museum, UN building and thats about it.

We will then move to gild hall hotel in downtown NYC and wake up sunday morning to tour WTC memorial site.

How can I improve on this trip? Is there something important that I've missed? Its a sightseeing trip and not a shopping trip.

What are some of the awesome yet affordable restaurants in TS? I only know John's pizza so far.

Are the New York passed worth it?

Thank You in advance for kind advice.

Oct 21, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #2 of 17
Man NY has so much to offer, just depends on what you're looking for. I've been living here for 6 years, so what I enjoy most is just the energy of the city, people watching, going out for drinks, live music, rather than the traditional "sights."

Off the top of my head:

I hear the Modern restaurant at the MOMA is good for drinks and dinner. Times Square and midtown in general sucks IMO, once you see it at night and maybe catch a show you should check out other neighborhoods. They did close off part of Broadway north of TS for pedestrians to sit and hang out. I'm a downtown snob, so I'd suggest a walking tour through the West Village (cupcakes at Magnolia?). Eff John's, go to Lombardi's in Little Italy for the best NY-style pizza in the city. But be prepared to wait if you go at peak hours. Best burgers I've ever had (and a fun experience in itself) are at Shake Shack in Madison Square Park. If you must eat near TS, go west to Restaurant Row on 9th Ave. (btw. 45-55th st. or so), lots of affordable and good restaurants.

I think Top of the Rock (rooftop of Rockefeller Center) may be better for views and less crowded than the Empire State. SoHo is worth walking through even if you don't like shopping. You can grab brunch or coffee at Union Square to people watch, there's always stuff going on during the weekends. If you're into architecture there are a lot of beautiful buildings, like the Flatiron, Grand Central, the court houses (like the state courthouse you see in Law and Order) and various churches. Walking on Brooklyn Bridge is great on a nice day. Chinatown is crazy on weekend afternoons but worth a walk around and a meal. Nightlife for me is a major highlight, you could buy a Time Out magazine and just browse around for any bars/clubs/shows that look interesting.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope you have an awesome time, the city can be a little daunting at first but if you like constant stimulation and diversity I think you'll like it. For me, there's no other place on earth!

Oh yea, buy a weekend Metro pass. Trains run a bit slower on the weekends but they're easily the best and cheapest way to get around town.

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj nellie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Man NY has so much to offer, just depends on what you're looking for. I've been living here for 6 years, so what I enjoy most is just the energy of the city, people watching, going out for drinks, live music, rather than the traditional "sights."

Off the top of my head:

I hear the Modern restaurant at the MOMA is good for drinks and dinner. Times Square and midtown in general sucks IMO, once you see it at night and maybe catch a show you should check out other neighborhoods. They did close off part of Broadway north of TS for pedestrians to sit and hang out. I'm a downtown snob, so I'd suggest a walking tour through the West Village (cupcakes at Magnolia?). Eff John's, go to Lombardi's in Little Italy for the best NY-style pizza in the city. But be prepared to wait if you go at peak hours. Best burgers I've ever had (and a fun experience in itself) are at Shake Shack in Madison Square Park. If you must eat near TS, go west to Restaurant Row on 9th Ave. (btw. 45-55th st. or so), lots of affordable and good restaurants.

I think Top of the Rock (rooftop of Rockefeller Center) may be better for views and less crowded than the Empire State. SoHo is worth walking through even if you don't like shopping. You can grab brunch or coffee at Union Square to people watch, there's always stuff going on during the weekends. If you're into architecture there are a lot of beautiful buildings, like the Flatiron, Grand Central, the court houses (like the state courthouse you see in Law and Order) and various churches. Walking on Brooklyn Bridge is great on a nice day. Chinatown is crazy on weekend afternoons but worth a walk around and a meal. Nightlife for me is a major highlight, you could buy a Time Out magazine and just browse around for any bars/clubs/shows that look interesting.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope you have an awesome time, the city can be a little daunting at first but if you like constant stimulation and diversity I think you'll like it. For me, there's no other place on earth!

Oh yea, buy a weekend Metro pass. Trains run a bit slower on the weekends but they're easily the best and cheapest way to get around town.

shack shack burget - GOT IT!

Lombardi pizza has no menu on its website??! how does it compare with john's pizza?

what about great steaks?

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #4 of 17
Shake Shack is pretty good and its decently priced. I wouldnt say CHEAP but its cheap for NYC
smily_headphones1.gif

Lombardis >>>>>> John's for pizza

Steaks are expensive but Peter Luger's is a classic. and The Modern is an amazing restaurant, but very expensive.

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 17
MurphGuide Entertainment - Connecting the Fun to the Fun People

Grimaldi's Pizza (Patsy's) Under the Brooklyn Bridge, in front of the Jehovah's Witness Watch Tower, in Brooklyn Heights (Dumbo), If you like old fashioned style Neopolitan Pizza.
Frank Sinatra's favourite place to eat. Small, crowded, great Pizza, and pictures of stars all over the walls, and that great Italian "Family", *cough cough* feel. Grimaldi's Pizzeria

Jeckyl n Hyde , Greenwich Village.......burgers, beer, and other things. They put on a great comedy show while you eat, day or night. Jekyll and Hyde, New York City

Jacksons Hole ,, awesome burgers!!! - Jackson Hole Burgers, New York: 7 oz Burger Restaurants and Catering Services offer Burgers, Mexican dishes, Salads and Sandwiches

Dangerfields Comedy Club - Dangerfield's Comedy Night Club

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #7 of 17
Skip all the restaurants in Times Square and head two avenues over to 9th Ave. Between about W40th St and W50th St are more restaurants than you would believe. Also, W46th between 8th and 9th Ave is known as Restaurant Row, so check that out too. These are all ~5 min walk from Times Square.

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #8 of 17
When touring the WTC site, make sure you get a chance to view it from the Winter Garden in the World Financial Center. That provides an excellent view and you will be standing under an enormous glass dome that was completely shattered that day. Also, do yourself a favor when downtown: hop on the Staten Island ferry (especially if the weather is decent). Take it from Manhattan to Staten Island and then just hop on the next one back. It's free and will give you the best view of the skyline, the harbor, and the statue of liberty. This is the single best piece of advice you will receive in this thread.

Also while here, consider visiting Grand Central Terminal. They did a nice job restoring it. Have a drink at the Campbell Apartment.

I think you can skip the Museum of Natural History. If you feel a burning desire to hit another museum (you already have 2 good ones), then check out the Whitney.

Check out Katz's Deli on the Lower East Side. Overrated, but it's an institution.

Get Metrocards and take the subway everywhere. It's cheap, fast, and safe. Just remember to stay use common sense and stay alert. Also, ask for a subway map from one of the token booth operators. The map and Metrocard will make nice souvenirs.

I'll post as I think of more. Feel free to PM me. Enjoy your stay!

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skip all the restaurants in Times Square and head two avenues over to 9th Ave. Between about W40th St and W50th St are more restaurants than you would believe. Also, W46th between 8th and 9th Ave is known as Restaurant Row, so check that out too. These are all ~5 min walk from Times Square.

got it! but which specific restaurant on 9th do u recommend?

Im also living in gild hall (intersection of gold st and platt st). Is there a good place around for breakfast?

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When touring the WTC site, make sure you get a chance to view it from the Winter Garden in the World Financial Center. That provides an excellent view and you will be standing under an enormous glass dome that was completely shattered that day. Also, do yourself a favor when downtown: hop on the Staten Island ferry (especially if the weather is decent). Take it from Manhattan to Staten Island and then just hop on the next one back. It's free and will give you the best view of the skyline, the harbor, and the statue of liberty. This is the single best piece of advice you will receive in this thread.

Also while here, consider visiting Grand Central Terminal. They did a nice job restoring it. Have a drink at the Campbell Apartment.

I think you can skip the Museum of Natural History. If you feel a burning desire to hit another museum (you already have 2 good ones), then check out the Whitney.

Check out Katz's Deli on the Lower East Side. Overrated, but it's an institution.

Get Metrocards and take the subway everywhere. It's cheap, fast, and safe. Just remember to stay use common sense and stay alert. Also, ask for a subway map from one of the token booth operators. The map and Metrocard will make nice souvenirs.

I'll post as I think of more. Feel free to PM me. Enjoy your stay!

how long is the ferry trip both ways may I ask? We have to leave for Toronto (by car) so Im not sure if we have time for the ferry after WTC.

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how long is the ferry trip both ways may I ask? We have to leave for Toronto (by car) so Im not sure if we have time for the ferry after WTC.

It takes about 25 minutes each way. Schedule here: Staten Island Ferry Schedules

Personally, I think there's more to see than the WTC, but I understand that's a very personal decision. Also easy for me to say since I pass the WTC every day.

Oct 22, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #12 of 17
Actually, there's not much to see at the WTC site as it's basically just a construction site. I do understand why people are drawn to it though.

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #13 of 17
anyone been on the guided tour to UN building? is it worth it or should I just take a pic with the building and scram?

Oct 22, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone been on the guided tour to UN building? is it worth it or should I just take a pic with the building and scram?

Actually, most New Yorkers probably would prefer that you take the building and scram. I can't stand having the UN here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back